Sound system for gaming PC?

TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
edited October 2011 in Hardware
I'm planning my next gaming PC build, and I was thinking of getting some sort of good sound system for it. I have always just plugged a set of $30 or so speakers into the motherboard audio plug, and that was good enough.

I was wondering if spending the money for a dedicated sound card and speaker set might make a noticeable difference when playing games and watching video. I have to research it more, but I see 2.1 and 5.1 and 7.1 systems. I don't really have the right amount of space available to have 5-7 speakers laid out all over the room, would a 2.1 system be a big difference over a pair of average speakers?

Any suggestions for what sound card and speakers to get? I haven't priced anything yet, but I'm thinking maybe $100-$150 for the sound equipment.

Comments

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Tim wrote:
    I'm planning my next gaming PC build, and I was thinking of getting some sort of good sound system for it. I have always just plugged a set of $30 or so speakers into the motherboard audio plug, and that was good enough.

I was wondering if spending the money for a dedicated sound card and speaker set might make a noticeable difference when playing games and watching video. I have to research it more, but I see 2.1 and 5.1 and 7.1 systems. I don't really have the right amount of space available to have 5-7 speakers laid out all over the room, would a 2.1 system be a big difference over a pair of average speakers?

Any suggestions for what sound card and speakers to get? I haven't priced anything yet, but I'm thinking maybe $100-$150 for the sound equipment.
    Just stick with the onboard audio unless you're one of the .01% of the population defined as a true audiophile. Since you found $30 speakers good enough, that's probably not the case.

A decent set of 2.0 speakers is probably just fine unless you really want the extra bass from a subwoofer. Best suggestion is go to a store, listen to them, then find 'em cheaper on-line.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    This is a great sounding set. 3 way crossover, sub, mids, twetters, great tonal range and considering the price they are a real bargain.