Steve Jobs 1955-2011

2»

Comments

• djmephdjmeph Detroit Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    My mom compared Jobs to Thomas Edison, and I think that's a great analogy. We all know that Tesla had more to do with influencing the way we use electricity, even to this day, and had a much bigger impact on the world. The phonograph, however, was the iPod of its time. Many people had created a light bulb before Edison, but Edison made it more user-friendly. Tessla was an engineer, but Edison was a businessman. This is why history has been more kind to Edison. He was able to market and brand his innovations in a way that Tesla was not able to.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Then again, Edison was a deplorable bastard who drove Tesla to his grave alone and penniless... sure we want to be making this comparison?

I am a loud and vocal opponent of the Apple Marketing Machine, but Jobs was, flat-out and undeniably, a pure visionary. The man knew what people wanted without asking them, and gathered around himself enough engineers and developers to make that vision happen. That's what it's about, and that's what the world will miss.
  • djmephdjmeph Detroit Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    I would say the shoe fits.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited October 2011
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    I'd click on it, but I know it leads to Gawker and I don't want to give them the pageview.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    It's worth reading.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Billionaires are shrewd, uncompromising workaholics? Who knew?

Let me add, Gawker / Gizmodo and Jobs had a very well publicized disagreement over a stolen Iphone 4, which led to legal action and all kinds of nastiness. I'm not picking a horse in that race, I felt that Apple was being unreasonable in how they handled it at the time, but I will say it does at least lead me to question any "journalists" integrity that writes about Apple on behalf of gawker media. They are a biased and unreliable source.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Lincoln wrote:
    I'd click on it, but I know it leads to Gawker and I don't want to give them the pageview.

Pastebined so you don't have to:

http://pastebin.com/TrvPk9Mv
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    but I will say it does at least lead me to question any "journalists" integrity that writes about Apple on behalf of gawker media. They are a biased and unreliable source.

They do cite many sources in the article, be it from other publications, books, and the like. They're not making the stuff up.
  • DavidReinoldDavidReinold Minnesota
    edited October 2011
    Regardless of what you think of Apple, it stands as a fact that there is one less brilliant mind walking the earth. Rest in peace, man.