Gateway NV79 BIOS lock out ... Help!

edited October 2011 in Hardware
I purchased a Gateway NV79 laptop and it is working very well but recently I was told that i may need to use my laptop in class - fine. My professor suggested that I lock it in some form and was told that I could use the BIOS feature to lock both the HDD and system.
Know this fall semester I had to do a changes to the laptop which means that I have to enter the BIOS. Know there is my issue, I don't remember my Gateway NV79 BIOS password.
I try treating it like a desktop to reset the CMOS switch on the motherboard but there is none. I was able to remove the CMOS battery in hopes of resetting it but that to did not work.
Have anyone came across this "BIOS Password" issue and was successful in finding a solution to this?

Comments

• trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Page 66 of the manual states

"The password feature is very secure, and you cannot bypass it. If you forget your password, you will have to return your notebook to Gateway so we can reset it. "

I have no idea how one would forget the bios password they set on their own laptop...
    Next time write it on a piece of tape on the bottom of the laptop... :banghead:

No free easy reset solutions, if they were out there then passwords would be useless.