Get me back to where I was.

jh576181jh576181 Grove City
edited October 2011 in Hardware
Recently I removed a hard drive from a desktop. It had become corrupted with viruses and no longer worked.So I had the drive re-formatted. I was running XP. It is an older Gateway PC. Can anyone tell me how to reload the drivers onto the machine and get me back to using it ionce again.

Waiting to hear from you.
jh

Comments

• edited October 2011
    if it's an older machine, just load win7.
    it will recognize all old hardware and auto-d/loads drivers for them.

if that doesn't work, you always have xubuntu or some other lightweight linux distro.
  • ErrorNullTurnipErrorNullTurnip Illinois Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    The best thing is usually to just go to the manufacturer's website and download the drivers. It gets really annoying if you're missing the ethernet/WiFi drivers and have to manually transfer by flash drive.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    jh576181 wrote:
    Recently I removed a hard drive from a desktop. It had become corrupted with viruses and no longer worked.So I had the drive re-formatted. I was running XP. It is an older Gateway PC. Can anyone tell me how to reload the drivers onto the machine and get me back to using it ionce again.

Waiting to hear from you.
    jh

If you look on the machine and find the model number (usually on a sticker on the back or top of the tower), we can provide you an exact link to the drivers page. You'll end up starting here, if you want self-service