Netflix listens to customers. Qwikster is no more

mertesnmertesn I am Bobby MillerYukon, OK Icrontian
edited October 2011 in Lifestyle

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Without users buying games or taking a chance on a $60 game, companies will die. Yes newer games might be better, but we will be stuck with 100 CoD games :)
  • djmephdjmeph Detroit Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    I think I was the only person in the world that understood and supported Netflix's decision, and it's a shame that they took so much guff for it to the point that their stock fell 50%. However, retrospectively it does look like they were trying to phase out physical media too soon. I guess America isn't quite ready to embrace streaming media yet, much like we're not ready to embrace a black president, 1st world education and health care, and science. I do suspect, however, that the physical media business will continue to decline and the price will go up.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    djmeph wrote:
    I think I was the only person in the world that understood and supported Netflix's decision, and it's a shame that they took so much guff for it to the point that their stock fell 50%. However, retrospectively it does look like they were trying to phase out physical media too soon. I guess America isn't quite ready to embrace streaming media yet, much like we're not ready to embrace a black president, 1st world education and health care, and science. I do suspect, however, that the physical media business will continue to decline and the price will go up.

You forgot the metric system. If there is one symbol for American's reluctance to embrace change for the better, it is the metric system.
    edited October 2011
    CB wrote:
    You forgot the metric system. If there is one symbol for American's reluctance to embrace change for the better, it is the metric system.
    I agree!
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    djmeph wrote:

In my opinion, it wasn't necessarily that they were trying to phase out physical media too soon. It's that their offering on the streaming side doesn't come anywhere near the offering on the physical media side. I primarily used the streaming service, but I had the one-dvd-at-a-time plan in case there was a movie I wanted to watch that was unavailable through instant view.

I still subscribe to their streaming service, and I really hope it starts to get better. I think the intention was good, but they tried to execute without enough backing from the movie companies.
    edited October 2011
    Yeah, they were trying to force the change too soon. Give it another year or two.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    It still comes down to streaming for convenience, and physical for selection and quality (and bonus features) for me. Both services are equally important to my household.

The issue in my opinion is the whole thing was a clusterfuck of a mess. Splitting into two discrete companies, forcing customers to have 2 separate accounts, re-naming one a ridiculously lame name... the list of blunders is long, but I'm glad they came to their senses.
  • edited October 2011
    Now that is just silly, force us all to use streaming completely with no physical media, when you have a bandwidth cap that if you stream all your videos over your bound to go over
    > points at the probably more then half of the american public that this would be the case for even tho probably 15-20% of those can't watch movies online because their internet is too slow. I know from experience it is freaking expensive to go over the bandwidth limit.
  • edited October 2011
    Hi Nick,

I thought I’d reach out to you since you wrote about the Netflix/Qwikster debacle! Our company shot a spoof video revealing what REALLY happened to Qwikster! Lol, let me know what you think and feel free to share!

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qqyZOJc_kn0?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qqyZOJc_kn0?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0&hd=1&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

-Cory