1.65v vs. 1.5v Ram

MbooseMboose North Carolina
edited October 2011 in Hardware
I'm looking to add RAM to a system I've recently built.

Specs:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
i5-2500 CPU
Gigabyte H67 Chipset mobo
Corsair 750w TXV2 PSU
4GB Corsair Dominator 1600 mhz RAM

The exact RAM that I currently have is:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145323

It really is nice ram, but it's only 4gb (tried saving money where I could) and I'd like to add another 8gb.

I'm thinking of going with the 8gb version of what I have now, which is:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145313

My current ram runs at 1.65v and does so without an problem. My question is: If I go with 8gb of 1.5v instead of 1.65v, will there be an issue? Also, are there any noticeable performance differences?

I only ask because I can go with GSkill or PNY 1.5v ram for literally half the price.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    No issues. No difference. Do it.
  • MbooseMboose North Carolina
    edited October 2011
    Alright that sounds good, thanks for the quick reply.
    edited October 2011
    I hope you still check this, even though it was solved. I came across this ram:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820178382

Curiously though, it doesn't list the timing of the ram (I currently have 9-9-9-24). Would the timing be a problem if the PNY in the link has a different timing? I've checked google and pny's website and can't find it.

I'm starting to wish that I would have just bought all the ram I wanted at once.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Upon re-reading your post, am I to understand correctly that you want to combine your 4GB/1.65V RAM with 8GB/1.5V RAM? If yes, I would advise against it.

For starters, there are some obvious incompatibilities. Your 4GB sticks require 1.65V, so you must run at that to make them happy. Then there's the 1.5V RAM, which may not like 1.65V.

Secondly, you probably don't need more than 8GB, which means you're better off just dumping your current RAM.
    edited October 2011
    Yes, I would like to combine my ram so that I would have 2 x 2gb (my current ram) + 2 x 4gb of some additional ram.

I suppose I wouldn't mind even reducing my order to 4gb so that my setup is 4 x 2gb (current ram + 2 new sticks of ram) if more than 8gb is going to be overkill, but after a quick search it seems that I'd still have a similar question.

Also, I'd like to keep my current ram if possible in the interest of saving money for more ram that is basically the same.
  • ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    OK 2 issues here:
    1) just buy 1.65v new RAM if your old is 1.65 AND you're keeping it. If you buy 1.5v new, you may burn it out in no time as you will (OK not 100% until you test it, but let's go with the highest probability here) need 1.65 to run your old.
    2) running 4 sticks of memory leads to a lot of compatibility issues. Not every time. But frequently. That's why they sell matched kits, known pairs of sticks that run together. It's less of an issue if you're not overclocking, but still potentially a problem.

Conclusion:
    Buy an 8GB matched set (2x4GB), and sell your old set.

If you really need more than 8GB, find a different, bigger matched set. Likely you don't, ie, if you're just gaming and surfing.