Thumbs.db

GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
edited October 2011 in Science & Tech
I have always been annoyed by these files but after having a file-based interface at work crash today because of Thumbs.db existing in the directory, I decided to put an end to it once and for all. Here's some detail about what Thumbs.db is and how to remove Thumbs.db from the OS's placement.

These files are created as a thumbnail cache of images and PDF documents as a default setting for XP and Server 2003 operating systems. Additionally, they are created inside network-based shared file systems by Vista and Windows 7 (local thumbnail caching in these Windows versions is done in a user folder rather than the folder containing the images). I'm going to detail how to stop Thumbs.db from creating in both operating systems.

XP and Server 2003:
  1. Open Windows Explorer (Windows+E or any of the other methods of launching it)
  2. Open the Tools Menu, and select Folder Options.
  3. Change to the View tab
  4. Select the check box next to "Do no cache thumbnails"
  5. Press the "Apply to All Folders" button (note: this will apply all the view settings for the existing folder to all folders)
  6. Enjoy the lack of Thumbs.db

Windows 7/Vista:
  1. Open Group Policy Editor (Windows+R and type gpedit.msc in the box)
  2. On the left panel, drill down under "User Configuration"
  3. Open "Administrative Templates" > "Windows Components" > "Windows Explorer"
  4. Near the top is the option "Turn off the caching of thumbnails in hidden thumbs.db files"
  5. Double click this setting to edit it
  6. Select the radio button next to "Enabled" and click the OK button

If you've been annoyed by these thumbnail cache files as I have, I hope this helps.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Very helpful. Thanks!
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    I think you may have read it when I accidentally created the thread before entering the Windows 7 instructions, but I'm glad you enjoyed. ;)
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    thumbs.db only annoys me when I see it show up in particularly dumb places, like on my mobile devices - after Windows interacts with them, or in Dropbox directories.

Thanks for the instructions. I remember turning them off in XP (possibly with your help) years ago, but hadn't hunted down the setting in 7 yet.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    I've always wondered what these were when I saw them but just figured they were harmless files created for whatever reason by whatever program. Is there any reason I would actually want to keep them enabled?
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    The advantage to keeping them is speed.

If you don't have them, then every time you load a particular directory of media, it has to recreate all the little thumbnails. If you leave it on, then it just stores them all in that little file, and doesn't need to make new ones unless something changes.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Exactly, but in XP the thumbnail cache is stored in the directory where the images reside, and tends to cause issues when copying/moving/deleting a directory. In Windows 7, the local thumbnail cache is stored in a subfolder of your user profile, so it doesn't cause as many issues. Thumbs.db is generated by Windows 7 only in remote network shares.

If you view all of your directories in the detail format instead of thumbnails, you'll never need this file.