Carmack, Carmack, why hast thou forsaken us?

2»

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    I'm glad both platforms offer good gameplay.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited October 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    I'm glad both platforms offer good gameplay.

That's just it though - good gameplay is totally subjective and the quality experience can shift greatly depending on much more then just the game.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    I'm full of spiteful jealousy for console players and don't trust them.
    edited October 2011
    kryyst wrote:
    That's just it though - good gameplay is totally subjective and the quality experience can shift greatly depending on much more then just the game.

Cool. Glad you raised the spectre of "gameplay" as a trump card, then turned around and validated it as a subjective and meaningless metric.
    edited October 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    Cool. Glad you raised the spectre of "gameplay" as a trump card, then turned around and validated it as a subjective and meaningless metric.

If you think it's meaningless you are fooling yourself. It's probably the only metric that matters. The trouble is you just can simply measure it and if you are trying to push a gaming experience on poly count your game probably sucks.
    edited October 2011
    It's meaningless in the context of your argument, I'm afraid. Using it as a card that somehow invalidates the "graphics" argument--which can be measured, and is not exclusive from gameplay--is a little silly.
    edited October 2011
    The context of my argument is that graphics isn't everything. Consoles are selling better despite not having superior graphics. That's often the crux of the ZOMG PCs ROXOR argument. While there are other elements besides graphics the quality of gameplay is certainly a core reason. Just not one easily measured.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    kryyst wrote:
    The context of my argument is that graphics isn't everything. Consoles are selling better despite not having superior graphics. That's often the crux of the ZOMG PCs ROXOR argument. While there are other elements besides graphics the quality of gameplay is certainly a core reason. Just not one easily measured.

Provide me with a metric that tells me that any one of the consoles is outselling the PC? It's not.... You keep making up your arguments with absolutely nothing to support it. The PC gaming market is great, its not getting destroyed by consoles as healthy a business as consoles can be (when they are not red ringing, and their networks are not being hacked). Consoles just are not depleting the PC's growth the way you believe they are. Real data or bust.

As far as better gameplay goes? Are you telling me you would rather play, TF2, Portal, World of Goo, Plants vs. Zombies, Command and Conquer, Deus Ex, Half Life, Call of Duty, or just about any other cross platform release on a shoddy designed plastic toy with a loose dual stick limited control set about ten feet away on an inferior display vs. sitting right in front of a beautiful high resolution display with a precision custom control set at your disposal?

You trollin us now bro? You can't be for real?
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    30 second google result, Cliff: http://wraltechwire.com/business/tech_wire/news/blogpost/10174154/

Consoles still outsell PCs, but nVidia expects this to change in 2014 according to that article and those sources. I'm all for the end of the FUD for PC gaming, but you don't need to be a dick about it. :/ You don't incite discussion when you respond like that, only rage.

Things I'm PERSONALLY curious about: definition of PC gaming - is this limited to sales of components, sales of entire rigs, etc.

Are we talking dollars or units sold, everyone seems to be using $B USD in their research argument, but that wouldn't tell me who's outselling what, necessarily. You can argue very easily that PC components 'stay' at price levels, while the same console (theoretically) drops in price every year/other year. It's a loose argument, but hopefully you see what I'm getting at.

I'm not sure we're getting an apples to apples comparison, but it's good to see the tides will slowly shift (with current gen consoles currently in their mature lifecycle stage at this point)
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    I've been called, bullshit, lame, a coward, and a dick and I'm the one inciting rage?
    edited October 2011
    Cliff wrote:
    It's as much the gamers fault, they speak with their wallets. We are dealing with a spoiled generation... It is a generation that has no patience... That's why they settle for the lowest common denominator, they are too lazy to expect anything better.

Your blanket generalizations and "trolling" are where it started. Lets just be clear on that.

Yes I'm absolutely telling you I'd rather play games sitting on my couch on my 42" tv with my very comfortable controller. Instead of back at my desk using a keyboard and a mouse. I don't care about the improved graphics. They don't matter. Hell at 60fps running around gunning, jumping and dodging I don't even notice them. The mouse is more precise but it's not game changing when the game is designed around a controller. Plus I'll gladly trade that precision for the all buttons at my fingertips of a controller without having to customize a keyboard layout for every game.

I'm not even claiming that the console isn't better for all games. World of Goo since you mentioned it is best played on iPad - same goes for Plants vs Zombies style games. I have a Gaming PC for well collecting dust mostly. I have an iPad for simple distractions and general use and I have an Xbox for the majority of my gaming. Also lets look at other games Sports games, action games and platformers anyone playing those on PC's got a controller hooked up to it (you know - generally). That when you can still get those games on PC. Months after they've been released for console and ported to PC.

What kind of sales data are you looking for. The OP's stats that keep being brought up show Console software sales outselling PC sales. The fact that there are 3 consoles vs 1 PC doesn't change that fact. If there were only 1 console to rule them all people would still have that console. PC software sales are on the rise - that's good. But as for PC sales eclipsing console sales in 2014 that chart is pure speculation.

I think PC Gaming needs a clever Slogan: "PC Gaming - I'm not dead yet!"

Anyway I'm off to go play Batman on my 360.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    I have a hard time believing that PC gaming is dying. It might be headed in a new direction, but it's gonna stick around for a while especially because of how many game genres are just better suited on PC and how much cheaper the PC has gotten.

I understand that in a person's own experience that gaming on a console is easier and more comfortable, but I don't get how that translates to PC gaming dying. The numbers of game sales has been brought up a lot as well and I do think gaming in general is growing and probably more so on the console in recent times but I also don't see the connection between this and the fall of PC gaming. It's not like console and PC gaming are mutually exclusive.

I think the thing I am most saddened about is the rise of shoddy ports, and (personally and nostalgically influenced) the decline in quality of a lot of games. So many franchises switched to developing for the console and churn out formulaic games for the masses after they started with a high quality product on the PC. But maybe that's just what usually happens with all sequels, regardless the platform.