Metro 2033

Slayer5227Slayer5227 Elkridge Member
edited October 2011 in Gaming
I know I'm a bit late to the boat but this game wooo man what can I say. This game mixes gorgeous scenery, good voice acting, an amazing story, and all around one of the most under-rated games in a long time. When I say under-rated I mean UNDER-rated. IGN gave this game a 7.5 or an 8 I believe. This game only has one con for me, which is the darkness can be overwhelming at times there are points where the little hideouts/stations become a blessing because it is lit and you don't have to constantly watch your back. I'm gonna try to break this down by category and do a little review so let me know how you guys think I'm doing.

PLOT-
Metro 2033 is set in a post-apocalyptic Russia where you (Artyom) have been living as long as you can remember. When you were a small child the nukes fell and you and your family retreated to the Metros, the underground haven where you now live. You are now a grown man who is being put up to save everyone in the Metro's lives and eliminate the threat above known as the "Dark Ones". These creatures will not only rip you to shreds but they will also control your mind and make you see and hear things. Now I don't want to give much of the story away, but you are basically working your way through trying to save mother Russia.

CHARACTERS AND VOICE ACTING-
This game has characters you will legitimately care about. Artyom, the main character, is someone who goes through so many trials and makes you concerned for his well being not only physically but mentally throughout the game. It is amazing how much passion you can have for your comrades especially when you get to know one very well and he dies in the heat of battle. The voice acting is good however it seems like they don't have legitimate Russian accents, but in the credits everyone is Russian so maybe I haven't heard a real Russian accent and they all had one lol.

GRAPHICS AND VISUAL EFFECTS-
If I had to sum up the graphics in a single word it would be: Unbelievable. These graphics literally had my jaw on the ground the first time I saw them. This entire game is gorgeous and the team at 4A used a visual effect that made it seem like you were actually looking through Artyom's eyes. What I mean by this is, if something is off far in the distance it is a bit blurred because a normal human couldn't see that far. With great graphics comes some consequences, if you plan on playing this on ultra settings, think again. This game is not very optimized for a very high setting, I played on a Radeon 6870 and was dropping frame-rate like bass in a dubstep song. It is well noted this game doesn't run well on very high settings. The visual effects such as them grabbing something or pulling themselves onto a ledge were good and I couldn't complain really about any of them.

AMOUNT OF EFFORT PUT INTO GAME-
Okay so this game will put you into a 10 hour deal, so if you don't like commitment you may want to avoid this game (but really 10 hours is nothing). This game is well worth the time you put in and honestly it is one of the best games I have ever played. Cost wise it will run you about 15 bucks now that it is on sale, or 5 bucks had you purchased it on Monday. Well worth every penny you spend on it.

FINAL THOUGHTS-
This game is an absolute classic in my opinion. You may have heard it has sort of a "cult" following, well I am in that cult after playing this game! For 5-15 bucks you can not go wrong with this game. Out of 10 I'm gonna give this a 9.5 and the only reason I won't give it a 10 is because of the darkness, and because Half-Life 2 exist which makes everything kind of underwhelming compared to it lol. If anyone ask me if they should buy it or not I would say yes in a heartbeat, so stop stalling and go buy this game!

Let me know what you guys think, first review I have ever written.