Professional Video editor

_k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
edited October 2011 in Hardware
This is a no limits questions. I have to deal with encoding and editing subtitle tracks for video at work. We still run into issues with some video files that are jacked up hard from a few of our content supplies.

What are people using in the work place to cut/chop, encode, edit, and build whole files from sections in the work place? This is part an FYI to my boss and a general knowledge for me since this is not what I am used to having to do. Please post up your creds so I can sound more like I know what I am talking about.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    AMD is a mix of Avid Media Composer, Final Cut Pro X or Adobe Premiere.
  • RootWyrmRootWyrm Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    AMD is a mix of Avid Media Composer, Final Cut Pro X or Adobe Premiere.

Adobe Premiere and Avid are probably your best bets for subtitling work unless you're an existing Mac shop. Sony Vegas is also worth mentioning, though I haven't touched it personally since 5.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    My company uses Sony Vegas exclusively.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Adobe Premiere. It is so good.

Seconding Vegas as well. Not as fully featured as Premiere (it's more focused at amateur work), but it'll probably get the job done.
  • RootWyrmRootWyrm Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    UPSLynx wrote:
    Adobe Premiere. It is so good.

Seconding Vegas as well. Not as fully featured as Premiere (it's more focused at amateur work), but it'll probably get the job done.

Vegas, actually, depends on which version. (Thanks, Sony.) It's got a much .. uh .. wider? line than Premiere?
    • Vegas Pro 11
    • Vegas Pro Production Assistant 2
    • Vegas Movie Studio 11
    • Vegas Movie Studio HD 11
    • Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 11 Production Suite
    If you can figure out which the hell is which, more power to you.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    A vote for Adobe Premiere Pro CS 5.5; especially if you run NVIDIA hardware, as it is CUDA accelerated and MUCH faster than non-GPU acceleration.

You're going to find professionals split nearly 50/50 on this question. For years I built dedicated NLE systems for video pros (NLE = non linear editor, dedicated video editing computers), and it was either Final Cut or Premiere. If I was building it, it was a PC, and it was Premiere. Mac users are split between Final Cut and Premiere (although a lot are jumping ship to premiere with the latest version of Final Cut; Apple made some unpopular changes)