BD and HDDVD playback software

Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy KnobPflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
edited November 2011 in Science & Tech
Does anyone know of a good application for playback of BD and HDDVD on a Win 7 system? I was using Cyberlink Power DVD7.3 on my old XP based system but in Win7 it will not work at all. 7.3 was the last release of Power DVD that supported HDDVD's as the platform has now been dead for some time but I have quite a few HDDVD's in my library.

Comments

• fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    is this for your HTPC, or just on PC?

HTPC = XBMC http://xbmc.org/

PC = media player classic http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/

don't forget to get the k-lite codec pak also http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm (standard and above versions INCLUDE media player classic)
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Mt_Goat wrote:
    Does anyone know of a good application for playback of BD and HDDVD on a Win 7 system? I was using Cyberlink Power DVD7.3 on my old XP based system but in Win7 it will not work at all. 7.3 was the last release of Power DVD that supported HDDVD's as the platform has now been dead for some time but I have quite a few HDDVD's in my library.
    PM sent with (hopefully) useful info.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Fatcat, does that actually work for you? I just fired up MPC-HC and it can't play BluRay discs.

I use ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre 3 for both HD-DVD and BluRay on my Windows 7 HTPC.
    edited October 2011
    drasnor wrote:
    Fatcat, does that actually work for you? I just fired up MPC-HC and it can't play BluRay discs.

I use ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre 3 for both HD-DVD and BluRay on my Windows 7 HTPC.

you have all the right codecs?
    edited October 2011
    actually, looking in to it further, it appears you have to do a little homework to get BD playback in mpc, my bad.

so am I to understand this right, you have to PAY for software to play blu-ray on a PC (without modifying or torrent)

guess it's a DRM stupidity
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    I also used ArcSoft. It doesn't look like they have HD-DVD support past version 3, at a quick glance.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Thanks for the suggestions so far. I will see what I end up making work when I get home in about a week. It looks like I will end up making use of my 12TB one way or another on my server!

BTW: This is for my HTPC
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    That is correct. DRM stupidity.
    edited October 2011
    Mt_Goat wrote:
    Thanks for the suggestions so far. I will see what I end up making work when I get home in about a week. It looks like I will end up making use of my 12TB one way or another on my server!

BTW: This is for my HTPC

Personally, I would just rip them to the 12TB and save the physical disks for backup. That way they are all in XBMC with no loading disc times/finding disc/etc
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    fatcat wrote:
    Personally, I would just rip them to the 12TB and save the physical disks for backup. That way they are all in XBMC with no loading disc times/finding disc/etc

This has now been done! What a project! :eek3: It did require extra plugins and codecs.