Socket 1055 and ivy bridge

sweavesweave boston
edited October 2011 in Hardware
my current system is a core 2 quad 6400 and passed the 4 year mark in august.

things are running fine but i'm thinking of upgrading in January. but now that ivybridge has been pushed back to march i'm kind of in a futz. should i build a sandybridge machine and upgrade to the ivybridge chip later?

i read a while back that ivybridge chips will work on current 1055 socket motherboards but i'm wondering how accurate this will be since ivybridge is supposed to get its own line of 7X motherboards.

will current mbs just not be able to use all ivybridge features?
might then be in my interest to just upgrade my vid card (currently a gts 250) i think and then sit until march.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    A misconception I want to clear up: Ivy Bridge was never actually delayed. Intel's transition to 3D 22nm transistors actually went better than expected, so the March retail availability is earlier than anticipated.

That said, Ivy Bridge is compatible with socket 1155. However, it does offer PCIe Gen 3, which could be a performance boost for SLI/CrossFire, and that won't be accessible unless you also have a PCIe Gen 3-capable motherboard. Ivy Bridge chipsets will also have native USB 3 and ThunderBolt. Those are the only major feature I can think of that might compel a motherboard upgrade.

Existing Intel Z68 owners are in a pretty good spot, though.
  • sweavesweave boston
    edited October 2011
    in that case i think i'll wait then and just get a faster video card for now.
    thanks