What the heck is going on? AMD 6770 Crossfire & 5970 non-crossfire

Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
edited October 2011 in Hardware
So I have an issue that I can't pin point. And it is tearing at my graphics knowledge that I can't figure this out.

Issue: Dual screen setup with either 6770's in crossfire or 5970 non-crossfire and the screen will randomly show scanlines on one or the other screen. More on screen display #2 than the other.

I have Vsync turned off and all other options disabled. I turned off GPU scaling and even swap the DVI and HDMI cables. I thought I had a dead/dying 5970 hence why I swapped to 2 6770's but still having the same issue.

I updated the drivers via a fresh install... is their a random setting in the CCC I am missing that can cause this?

I know words can't describe what is going on 100%.. so here is a video of the issue in action...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XGz4tzOWvI

Comments

• pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    That was seizure inducing.

That looks like a monitor or card glitch, but I've never seen one quite like that on a non-CRT monitor.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    How are they connected? DVI? All to the "master" GPU?
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    1 DVI cable 1 HDMI cable attached to the top card. witht he 6770's and on the 5970 same setup.

I tested the monitor on a 2nd system and it works fine.
    edited October 2011
    To also note... This was working fine on Monday and the issue just randomly started to happen.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    You tested monitor on second system with the same cable? Can/have you switched cables?
    edited October 2011
    swapped the cable same issue with both.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Have you attempted to wipe and re install the driver for measure?

Duh... You did say you did that...

Anyhow, perhaps you could throw one of those cards in another system? Maybe there is a problem with the southbridge? Have you updated motherboard drivers?
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    swapped the cable same issue with both.

Same issue on the same monitor with the cables swapped, right?
    edited October 2011
    So I gave up on this madness and kicked off a fresh install of windows and a fresh set of drivers. At this point in time it seems to have worked...

I know the overarching issue could have been caused by 1000 things. But will see if it reappears.