None of my Hard drives are being recoginized

edited October 2011 in Hardware
I have a Dell Dimension 3000. I am running a XP pro My mother board is a Dell E210882. The oringinal drive is a Seagate Barracuda Ultra ATA/100 ST380011A 80GB (7200.7) and I did a full system scan with a antivirus called Avast Internet Security and it found 50 low threat files it put into vault. I had it set to normal scan. Well that's where it all began, my troubles. Well I stated having trouble when I turned off the computer for the night and then the next morning it would not boot up from the hard drive. Then a few days pasted and I did everything every site had to offer and that only got me into the safe mode... so I then went back into the antivirus software and restored everything because most of them were exe files and other files I felt were needed for my system to work properly again. That didn't work so I thought maybe I downloaded something really bad and changed the setting to High for the scan and this time it found 200 problems and there were some HIGH threats in there. I left all 200 of them in the vault. I closed down the computer for the night then the next morning It would not boot again even into safe mode. So I bought a new Seagate Barracuda Ultra ATA/100 120Gb (7200.7) ST3120022A, I hooked this up by itself at first...no go. I have the right cable 40 pin 80 conductors for both (but originally I had a single drive cable 40 pin 80 conductor) but now with the dual drives none of the hard drives are even recognized, So I tried the single drive again and it will not recognize either of the hard drives when put on one at a time. I do have the drives set to auto in the setup menu, I have the jumpers set to cable select, but first tried the master and slave settings but did not work either. I have taken out the battery to reset the cmos that didn't work either. I am sooooo exhausted from reading hours of so called fixes that are not doing any good I went from bad to worst in a matter of a week and a half. The disk I have in my cd rom is XP Pro SP3 but I think the OS that was in there was SP2 or SP1, not sure. Well this did help restore the original drive to get into safe mode and I did all I can from all that I read online but nothing worked. But then I bought a 40 pin 80 conductors cable so I can put both drives on. Does anybody know how to get into the bios? Hoping it isn't F2 because that brings me to the setup screen and doesn't give me a way to make changes that have been advised online at other help sites.F8 used to get me into safe mode but now all hard drives are non existent the the computer. Does any of this sound familiar to anyone?? I would appreciate any help please.:confused: