Win 7 personalize options broken

SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
edited October 2011 in Science & Tech
Hey, kids -

Wondering if any of you have seen this kind of action before - it seems like my personalize service or function or what have you has been completely hidden:

Win7%20personalize.png

As you see, the traditional icon in the right-click menu is garbled, and clicking it or the personalize header or the "Change the theme" option does nothing. Changing sound effects or screen saver is fine, as those pop up older dialog boxes. Clicking on Change desktop background or Change window glass colors result in other errors:

Win7%20personalize%202.png

Win7%20personalize%203.png

I'm still googling around, but was just wondering if anybody else had seen it. A couple random threads sounds like I'll need to do a repair install of some kind. I'll update if I figure anything out.

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    So far, sfc /scannow found some corrupt files it couldn't repair.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Try running sfc from your recovery partition using the following:
    sfc /scannow /offbootdir=d:\ /offwindir=d:\windows

(assuming d: is the drive in relation to your recovery partition. You can check this by typing the following in the cmd prompt
    d:
    dir

If you see your typical C:\ root folder contents, you are good.
    edited October 2011
    Do you mean the system reserved partition? I don't know its drive letter, and it's not D - my SSD's programs partition is D. It wouldn't be B, E, F, or G either - those are local partitions. Disk management shows that I have a system reserved partition just in front of my C drive, but it doesn't have a drive letter listed.

Other ways I can handle this?
    edited October 2011
    When you boot into recovery, what you previously setup in Windows is no longer the same drive mapping. You just need to figure out what your system (c:) partition is from the recovery consoles perspective.
    edited October 2011
    Right. Booted from DVD to give it a known good source; same issue. Found some corruption, couldn't fix it.

Tried a reg clean with CCleaner, noticed Windows Update and IE were also both crashing when trying to start them. Something is sincerely wrong here, so I'm going for an inventory, wipe, and reinstall.

To anybody that finds this thread in the future, sorry I was unable to find a less nuclear option.
    edited October 2011
    Aaaaand everything is right as rain again. :) Good hard drive and data-separation practices means I lost nothing, and everything is back as it was, minus weird issues.
    edited October 2011
    Yeah, that was my next suggestion anyways. You were rapidly approaching the "I could have reimaged and reinstalled everything by now" time.