Whats your hardware specs

clifford_cooleyclifford_cooley Arkansas, USA Member
edited December 2011 in Folding@Home
What is everyone folding with these days?
Can you remember what hardware you started folding with?
  • I started folding with:
    • Celeron Dual-Core E1200 1.6GHz
    • Sapphire Radeon HD 4350
  • Shortly after upgraded with: (When I realized how pathetic my machine was for folding)
    • Intel Core2 Quad Q9400 2.66GHz -- (OC'd to 3.4GHz)
    • EVGA GeForce GTS 450 822MHz - - (OC'd to 900MHz)
  • I'm currently folding with:
    • Intel Core i7-2600K 3.4GHz - - - - - (OC'd to 4.0GHz and may go higher)
    • Intel Core2 Quad Q9400 2.66GHz -- (OC'd to 3.6GHz)
    • EVGA GeForce GTS 450 822MHz - - (OC'd to 920MHz)
I've tried not to go extreme with my OC'ing.

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Started with some shitty mobile AMD proc (this won't be as detailed as yours)

Currently:
    9800GX2 - GPU2 x2
    Phenom II 940 - SMP (not overclocked, either the board or the proc can't handle it)

Phenom II 965 - SMP (slight OC)
    GTX 570 732MHz - GPU3 OC'd to 800
    GTX 465 625 MHz - GPU3 OC'd to 725

Xeon X3450 2.66GHz - bigadv OC'd to 3.2
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Started with an X2 4200+ 939

Then moved to a 8800GT, then a second. Bought two 9600 GSOs.

Bought 2 9800 GX2s, updated my main to a Q9450 at 3.55, replaced both of my 88s for a GTX460. 939 board died. Sold the GSOs.

Built a fileserver with an AM2 5050e and a LAN rig with a Phenom 9600. Sold one GX2 to Tushon, one died, sold my second 88GT, sold my first 88 to Tushon. Bought a GTS450 for my LAN rig.

Built a new fileserver that has two Opteron 6134s, 2.3GHz. Moving to full bigadv production in my home as I upgrade to current gen hardware.

There is some other gear I have folding doing SMP work, that is all that will be said about that.
  • clifford_cooleyclifford_cooley Arkansas, USA Member
    edited November 2011
    _k_ wrote:
    Built a new fileserver that has two Opteron 6134s, 2.3GHz. Moving to full bigadv production in my home as I upgrade to current gen hardware.
    I would place a bet that you have been looking at the TYAN Quad Socket G34 Motherboard. :D
    edited November 2011
    Almost built that. But I backed out when realizing the heat output from it plus the grand plus it added to the build with more processors and heatsinks.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Started with a Pentium III 733 Mhz and a couple of Celeron 400s that Buddy J and I found for free. I think I had my K6-2 533 Mhz laptop folding, too. This was when WUs were worth a point or two. Somewhere I have a photo of the geekiest folding dorm room you'd ever see.

Whippersnappers.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Why build that quad CPU machine? GPU folding does way more than CPU folding can ever do. I'm sure there are exceptions, but the CPUs would cost more than the GPUs.
    edited November 2011
    Wrong.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Tim wrote:
    Why build that quad CPU machine? GPU folding does way more than CPU folding can ever do. I'm sure there are exceptions, but the CPUs would cost more than the GPUs.

Overclocked i7's can run anywhere from high 30s to low 40s PPD when folding bigadv, which blows any GPU out of the water. The 580 results I could find were yielding around 20k (which seems right, as my 570 yields about 18k). The changes to bigadv that will occur in March are going to make bigadv a higher point value for those who can fold it still (they are saying minimum of 16 cores, so an Opteron Interlagos 627* for a single proc or 2P boards with either AMD or Intel to get at least 16 cores). My dream build is a 2P Interlagos 6274, but it would be an epic amount of money.

EDIT: However, this 6276 review seems show that it has a low performance/watt ratio, but a nice performance/$ (especially considering mobo costs in addition to CPU cost). The results may get better as ESXi is optimized for the new architecture, and that guy didn't include any folding benchmarks.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    Oh. I see. 30,000-40,000 points per day from a single i7? Not bad.