Recommended buy?

TheAlertHuskyTheAlertHusky Victoria BC Member
edited November 2011 in Gaming
I'm a little strapped for cash in the videogame department, okay in every department but I want to get a new game. I've been told good and bad things about Battlefield 3 so I'm turning to you guys. Do you recommend the game? Or do you think I should save my money for a different one?

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    It's pretty fun when it works, and I think it'll have good longevity in the multiplayer department. I wouldn't get it if you're looking for a campaign or a story-driven narrative.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    If you're looking for single player fun and epic story, get Deus Ex: Human Revolution.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Snarkasm wrote:
    It's pretty fun when it works, and I think it'll have good longevity in the multiplayer department. I wouldn't get it if you're looking for a campaign or a story-driven narrative.

I don't play BF3 for the single player action. That said, I'd play this single player campaign again.

I'll have something up for you this weekend, hopefully, Husky. Though if you don't have the beef in your computer to run it, you might want to look someplace else. FWIW - there are about 3 or 4 people that seem to have constant troubles running the game, but about 20 ICrs on my buddylist that don't. They've patched a few issues out already, as well.
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    I could be wrong, but I think I recall Thrax saying that single player wasn't half bad...
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    I really enjoyed the single player campaign, but it was short. 7-10 hours, depending on how fast you play. The ending was a little tropish, though.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Another game that a lot of us are enjoying is Dungeon Defenders. Will have a ton of replayability and fun team play.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    The length was my point with the single-player, sorry. It doesn't seem long enough (or replayable enough) to warrant $60, but that's not what the game's main selling point is, either.
  • TheAlertHuskyTheAlertHusky Victoria BC Member
    edited November 2011
    I should also ask if anyone has it for xbox?
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Brian posted a review of it, I do believe
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Maybe it's because I played the hell out of 1942 and Desert Combat but the Battlefield series was never meant as a single player game nor known for it. Hell I think they only put in SP you could learn how to play correctly in MP.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Black Hawk wrote:
    Maybe it's because I played the hell out of 1942 and Desert Combat but the Battlefield series was never meant as a single player game nor known for it. Hell I think they only put in SP you could learn how to play correctly in MP.

Exactly this, totally agree.

This one has a particularly entertaining SP campaign, it's very fractured and sorta connected, but it delivers movie-quality missions that really make your jaw drop from time to time.

I agree with the sentiment that it's short. As everyone's said, it's a multiplayer game first, single player game second.