Steve Jobs Voted "Most Influental Man Of Gaming"

BHHammyBHHammy Somewhere in Hell Icrontian
edited November 2011 in Gaming
http://www.forbes.com/sites/benzingainsights/2011/11/02/steve-jobs-voted-most-influential-man-in-video-games-igniting-a-firestorm-of-complaints/

I...uh...what?

The article pretty much explains the -real- whys, so I won't get into that. The reason I bring this before you all, is because I figure you guys at least would be able to explain how these folks could quite possibly have any chance in a blue moon of substantiating such a title for Steve Jobs -at all-, much less over the likes of -Gabe Newell- and -Shigeru Miyamoto-.

Because, honestly, I find it mind-boggling that they could not only make such claims with a straight face, but folks would actually believe them (or they believe they'd take their word for it, at least).

Comments

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    I mean, gaming has always been apple's strong point. I whole-heartedly agree with this decision.
  • QuadWhoreQuadWhore Toledo, Ohio, U.S. Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    shwaip wrote:
    I mean, gaming has always been apple's strong point. I whole-heartedly agree with this decision.

QFT ;D
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/35TbGjt-weA?rel=0&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Dammit London.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    number munchers was the height of gaming. Truespeak.
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Marathon, and... and.....

Wait.... that's it.
  • ButtersButters CA Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Oregon Trail on an Apple IIGS. Blazed a trail for all first person shooters. You know, hunting buffalo while trying to avoid getting dysentery.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Take a small audience who focus on mobile gaming, digital/intellectual rights and this is the skewed result you get.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    BHHammy wrote:

Who? Never heard of them. Are these the guys that made the Zune?
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Wrong Steve. Wozniak did design the Apple II which was a revolutionary home gaming platform for its time. The Apple II was the first machine to really show the flexibility of home computers, not only for productivity and education, but as a gaming and entertainment platform as well. Did Jobs help sell it? Sure, but Wozniak was the man that had the vision.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Now we'll get into an Atari vs. Apple debate, and we don't want that.
  • trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    In 74 Jobs was a tech at Atari, Bushnell wanted a single player version of Pong... and Breakout was born. Jobs was given the task of finding a way to reduce the number of chips required to run the game. So he called up the Woz and in 4 days Breakout was prototyped and wire wrapped. The chip layout was so dense that it couldn't be built on an assembly line.

and as a side note:
    I played a shit load of games on my Apple ][ & ][e so yeah I'd say he was influential.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Would you say he was the most influential man of gaming?
  • trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    No I'd say the "Most Influential" in my time would be Richard Garriott & Carmack / Romero.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Why do these sorts of things never happen until someone dies? Never heard a peep about it until that happened.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Because now Apple and the media get to cash in on his death.