Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Performance issues

Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
edited November 2011 in Gaming
I'm running Windows 7 64 bit, FX-6100, 8GB of RAM, and a pair of Radeon 6850's in crossfire.

I've tried a few tricks, re installing the drivers and such, no avail. I get this weird stutter in menu performance. It's not mouse lag, its just like it's skipping, just slow and buggy, and even the games framrate seems off.

Anyone else had trouble?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    What driver, and what CAP?
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    All the latest and greatest.

Title File Size Version Date Posted
    Catalyst Software Suite 95.7 MB 11.10 10/31/2011
    Description:
    Package Includes:
    Display Driver
    OpenCL Driver
    ATI Integrated Driver
    Catalyst Control Center
    (English Language Only)
    For the 64 bit version of Windows Vista and Windows 7
    ATI Catalyst Application Profiles 0.5 MB 11.9 CAP 4 10/31/2011
    Description:
    This release of ATI Catalystâ„¢ delivers support for the latest ATI CrossFireXâ„¢ profiles in a separate executable file ensuring users have access to the absolute latest set of profiles installed on their PC.

New profiles added to this release:
    - Battlefield 3 – Provides great CrossFire scaling and resolves stuttering issues when running in CrossFire mode
    - Deus Ex Missing Link: Improves CrossFire performance
    - F1 2011: Improves CrossFire performance
    - Dead Island: Improves CrossFire performance
    - Batman Arkham City (DX9 version): Improves CrossFire performance
    - NBA 2012: Disables CrossFire
    edited November 2011
    Tried installing FRAPS to see what the FPS is?
    edited November 2011
    Just ran it, a beautiful three frames a second on the menus then in game if I hit 20 with settings turned down I'm doing good. Somethings obviously wrong. My hardware tests fine in other games. I verified the game files on Steam, all seems good there. I turned crossfire off for shits and giggles, no dice there. I'm stumped.
    edited November 2011
    When in doubt, uninstall drivers from device manager and delete the drivers when prompted. Then reboot into safe mode and remove the junk with Driver Sweeper first, then CCleaner.
    edited November 2011
    Did it, all of it. It's just not working. I'm thinking I may just delete the game and re install, cross fingers.
    edited November 2011
    That was my next suggestion. :)
    edited November 2011
    No luck, I'm down to re installing windows 7. I'm 99% sure its a sloppy driver conflict. When I swapped to an AM3+ board, I did not do a full clean install. I'll give it a try it out tonight and report back if it turns out to be the trouble.
    edited November 2011
    It's official, this game hates me. Full reinstall, now I'm crashing each time I try to run the game.

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional information about the problem:
    BCCode: 124
    BCP1: 0000000000000000
    BCP2: FFFFFA8007FDC8F8
    BCP3: 0000000000000000
    BCP4: 0000000000000000
    OS Version: 6_1_7600
    Service Pack: 0_0
    Product: 256_1
    Files that help describe the problem:
    C:\Windows\Minidump\111011-15490-01.dmp
    C:\Users\CandM\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-18033-0.sysdata.xml
    Read our privacy statement online:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409
    If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
    C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    I think you've got some hardware issues. Possibly hard drive?

Have you tried running the game with one GPU?
    edited November 2011
    I have tried disabling crossfire, no avail there. I run the game on an SSD, but I run other games on it fine? I'm stumped, perhaps I will move the files over to my spindle drive see how I fare.
    edited November 2011
    No Dice on the spindle drive. I'm stumped, if I run the the game, it crashes my machine before I even get to the game menu.
    edited November 2011
    I submit! Uncle!

We have received the inquiry.

Ticket Number: 1372890

Please be sure to have your ticket number ready when you are contacting the Support Center for assistance.

Thank you for your submission.
    You should receive a response from our support team soon. Please note that all issues are handled in the order they are received and an unexpected contact volume increase could result in an extended response time. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
    edited November 2011
    Check through My Documents, My Games and %appdata% to find the config files for DXHR. Delete them and try re-launching the game.
    edited November 2011
    I'm not at my gaming PC right now, but I'd bet that when it is all said and done, someone in this community will help me troubleshoot this far better than Square customer support. If my grumpy ass ever makes you feel otherwise, trust I always heart Icrontic. I'd rather exchange ideas here, than take a number with tech support.

TLDR version of my initial communication.

Me - Sent complete ticket, described problem, even linked here, and included for DX config and hardware config files for reference.

Square - It's the hardware silly

Me - I'm fairly sure it is not my hardware, it plays DX11 titles great, its in working order, I tested it all extensively before sending this email, I even loaded the game on seperate drives, I removed a graphics card, I stress tested my CPU and ran Memtest, I'm about 99% sure this is not being caused due to malfunctioning hardware, there is a software issue here, maybe a driver compatability issue of some kind, I'm amost sure it is.

Here is the support response.

As we have indicated previously, as the actual problem is your computer restarting, this indicates that the problem is with the hardware itself. As also mentioned previously, it may be caused by the game software, but as the problem is still with your hardware, we cannot provide any further troubleshooting. We hope this information has been of assistance.

Thank you for contacting the SQUARE ENIX Support Center.

"it may be caused by the game software, but as the problem is still with your hardware" - So, what exactly is that telling me?

I have 1000% more faith that members of Icrontic can help me troubleshoot this problem than anyone in actual tech support. I'll test this tonight when I try your suggestion Thrax.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited November 2011

As we have indicated previously, as the actual problem is your computer restarting, this indicates that the problem is with the hardware itself. As also mentioned previously, it may be caused by the game software, but as the problem is still with your hardware, we cannot provide any further troubleshooting. We hope this information has been of assistance.

Thank you for contacting the SQUARE ENIX Support Center.

"it may be caused by the game software, but as the problem is still with your hardware" - So, what exactly is that telling me?

I know this is not going to help at all but as I speak "Tech Support" fluently I thought I would help at least answer this particular question. They are still pointing at the hardware. They are admitting that it may be their software that is prompting the failure in the hardware but in the end it is still the hardware that is failing and the hardware is what needs troubleshooting.

-Digi
    edited November 2011
    I have thrown the kitchen sink at this. Taken my system apart, completely formatted and re installed both windows, and Steam. I took each piece of hardware out and swapped it for other components to test, one by one, so unless there is some bizarre underlying problem with the mobo, I don't know what to say. I've tried running it in DX 9 mode, I've tried Thrax suggestions, I've tried disabling my audio driver, I uninstalled all unnecessary peripherals. Nothing, absolutely nothing gets this game to run without crashing my beloved gaming desktop.

I'm starting to see the console gamers point.....
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    I know this is frustrating, I've been there too many times to count :(

I know you said you ran it with Crossfire disabled, but have you tried running it with just one GPU installed in the system?
    edited November 2011
    I know this is frustrating, I've been there too many times to count :(

I know you said you ran it with Crossfire disabled, but have you tried running it with just one GPU installed in the system?

Yes sir, I pulled it last night, then I actually crashed it, figured why not, took the other card and swapped it in as primary and tried that one alone. Nothing is working.

I'm pretty confident there is some kind of software issue. Do you think re flashing my BIOS would make a difference? It's about the only thing I have not tried.
    edited November 2011
    So, I rolled back the BIOS on my motherboard and it went from crashing, back to massive performance issues. I'm fairly sure it has something to do with the BIOS in relation to CPU workload scheduling, but I'm not 100% sure.
    edited November 2011
    Have you tried disabling all CPU power things? Like Cool'n'quiet, C1E states, etc?
    edited November 2011
    I literally deleted the game in anger, read your suggestion, re downloaded and figure I'll give it one more try tonight. I hope this game is freaking amazing!
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    DE:HR is the best game I've played since the original Portal. Hands down. It's worth it, even if you didn't ask for this.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Just to ask, you have done stress testing of other components like Furmark, Prime95, etc to rule out your own hardware?
    edited November 2011
    Tushon wrote:
    Just to ask, you have done stress testing of other components like Furmark, Prime95, etc to rule out your own hardware?

Yes Sir, Furmark, Prime 95, memtest. All run, everything is fine. It's a specific issue with how this game interacts with my hardware, I thought it might be a driver issue, but rooling back the BIOS changed the behavior, but the performance is still lousy, I mean like 12 fps slide show bad with AA and AF off even. My hardware is way too good, and it runs every other DX11 title perfectly. I think it has something to do with a BIOS setting, it's Bulldozer, so its all new, may be some kind of thread scheduleing issue or something, I'm not 100% sure. I'll play some more tonight and try to make it right.

To any console gamer I may have pissed off in the past, I'm sorry!!! Take the pin out of the voodoo doll!!! :grumble:
    edited November 2011
    You might also try turning off 3 of the 4 bulldozer modules in the BIOS. Just run it on 2 cores and see what happens.
    edited November 2011
    Okay, just checking. I thought you had/would of, but wanted to be 100% sure. I imagine either a future BIOS update or game update will help, but who knows.
    edited November 2011
    Turns out there is a fair amount of online complaining about the combination of the AMD FX and Deus Ex Human Revolution. I'm really aggravated, I guess it's the price of being an early adopter. I suppose I'll wait for a BIOS revision.

*Opens trench-coat* Anyone wanna buy an FX-6100?

More evidence, Hard OCP is having the exact same problem I am with the AMD FX and Deus Ex.

I think we have the culprit. It's the new chip. DOH!!
  • edited November 2011
    Turns out there is a fair amount of online complaining about the combination of the AMD FX and Deus Ex Human Revolution. I'm really aggravated, I guess it's the price of being an early adopter. I suppose I'll wait for a BIOS revision.

*Opens trench-coat* Anyone wanna buy an FX-6100?

More evidence, Hard OCP is having the exact same problem I am with the AMD FX and Deus Ex.

I think we have the culprit. It's the new chip. DOH!!

OH great I'm having the exact same problem in the exact same way. , except I'm using SLI and Vista 64. All my problems are your problems. I have 25 more days to return the chip to NewEgg. Am i stuck as this for a solution???

Please Advise
    edited November 2011
    I'd have to say that between his links stating that there are others having the issue and his offer to sell a chip (or his penis), I'd say you are stuck. Either the devs will release a patch and the game will be fixed, or they won't, and it'll stay broke. I'd hope they would release a patch, but who knows.