IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy CanadianToronto, Ontario Icrontian
edited December 2011 in Lifestyle

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    OvyW1l.png
  • PacifistoPacifisto Turnip Extraordinaire Michigan Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    I found Icrontic through their TF2 server - what my friends and I affectionately dubbed "the crazy drunk people server" - and several of us joined within a couple months. I still haven't met anyone in person, but I consider a lot of folks here my friends.
  • edited November 2011
    Guess who's back.
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    I think a lot of us had the same feeling you did when you stumbled onto something what was cooked Icrontic-style. I wandered into the IC TF2 server and was met by Primesuspect, who invited me to check out the site, and here I am 4 years later.
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Gate28 wrote:
    I think a lot of us had the same feeling you did when you stumbled onto something what was cooked Icrontic-style. I wandered into the IC TF2 server and was met by Primesuspect, who invited me to check out the site, and here I am 4 years later.

That's what makes Icrontic as amazing as it is. No matter what drew you to the site the members go out of their way to make you feel as welcome as possible.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Pacifisto wrote:
    I found Icrontic through their TF2 server - what my friends and I affectionately dubbed "the crazy drunk people server" - and several of us joined within a couple months. I still haven't met anyone in person, but I consider a lot of folks here my friends.

I'm STILL waiting for at least ONE of the Turnips to show up at an Icrontic event :shakehead
  • NullenVoydNullenVoyd Orlandish Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    It is a really swift community, and I hate that I haven't had the time to really engage it, because it is FULL of awesome and awesome people!
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Fantastic piece, Ilriyas. I'm really glad you braved up and joined a bunch of strangers on Vent to watch ponies on Thursday. It probably wasn't easy to do as a new member, but I'm glad we were able to give you a fun taste of what we do here.

I found Icrontic in early 2008. It changed my life. Changed my life! The people here have become my closest friends, I've met so many of them in person and do so regularly. This place and its people got me to start writing. It took me to E3 and SIGGRAPH as a reporter. It gave me the courage to quit my job and move to California to pursue a dream. It helped me land a dream job. It made me obsessed with coffee. I taught me to love microbrew beer. It taught me a lot about myself, and helped me to grow up to be a better man. Changed my life.

Icrontic is my home. I associate with Warren, Michigan more so than my home town. I will never leave this place. I'm glad you're here to share the awesomeness with all of us.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    UPSLynx wrote:
    It changed my life. Changed my life!

+1
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    UPSLynx wrote:
    Fantastic piece, Ilriyas. I'm really glad you braved up and joined a bunch of strangers on Vent to watch ponies on Thursday. It probably wasn't easy to do as a new member, but I'm glad we were able to give you a fun taste of what we do here.

I found Icrontic in early 2008. It changed my life. Changed my life! The people here have become my closest friends, I've met so many of them in person and do so regularly. This place and its people got me to start writing. It took me to E3 and SIGGRAPH as a reporter. It gave me the courage to quit my job and move to California to pursue a dream. It helped me land a dream job. It made me obsessed with coffee. I taught me to love microbrew beer. It taught me a lot about myself, and helped me to grow up to be a better man. Changed my life.

Icrontic is my home. I associate with Warren, Michigan more so than my home town. I will never leave this place. I'm glad you're here to share the awesomeness with all of us.

You kidding? I wouldn't have missed that stream for the world, the night before I literally couldn't sleep because of how excited I was that there was finally a group where I could actually discuss all things MLP.

Your comment just makes this place seem better and better, and it's exactly what I was hoping to shoot for with the article. Icrontic is an amazing community, no an amazing family and well, its one-of-a-kind. Less than a week in it feels like a home away from home.

Just being a member here has made me do more in the past week than I've done in a long time, before I joined Icrontic I would've never even considered joining a video stream with people I had known for less than a day. I mean to put things in perspective, I enjoy being an Icrontian SO MUCH that I went out of my way to write an article about it.

EDIT: Of course I've also got the Icrontic staff to thank, if it wasn't for their editing skills I'm sure that this piece would still be 'An unintelligible, long-winded abomination.'
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Ilriyas, it can be tough to describe Icrontic to "outsiders". It's a gaming site, a product review site, a chat site, a coffee connoisseur site, a "how to dress" site, a sick "I love Ponys" site, and a social gather spot... But it is really so much more than that. There may be better forums for a specific topic but being rooted in just one topic makes it one-dimensional. Icrontic is a great amalgamation that is the closest to High School or College cafeteria where there can be hundreds of conversations all on different topic.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Every once in awhile I forget that we're pretty unique in the forum world. I start thinking that EVERYONE has their "friends on the internet" that they constantly need to explain to their coworkers when asked the question "Why in the hell do you go to Michigan so much?" Apparently that is dead ass wrong.

Thanks for the piece, and once again remind me how awesome of a place this is.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    I saw a documentary on the Rock band Rush a short time ago. Long time friend of the band, Gene Simmons was asked when people asked him to describe Rush, he just kinda said, well, "it's Rush". It may seem tongue in cheek but it is really the highest honor, he is saying they are a 100% original, the real deal.

A few people have asked me, "what is this Icrontic thing you like?" Often I have a similar response, well, Icrontic, "it's Icronitc." I've always found the site name appropriate, it's 100% original. I've been up and down the internet, there is absolutely no community that is like this one. Icrontic is a true original, the real deal.

Thanks for the article, good read.
  • FitzkriegFitzkrieg British Columbia
    edited November 2011
    Well this certainly struck a chord with me.

Your first experience was remarkably similar to mine, Ilryas. We both ended up here because of the same article, and were welcomed warmly upon introducing ourselves.

Overall, I would have to say that this is the best forum community I've had the privilege of being a part of, and I have been a member of more than a few forum communities.

Anyway, great article, Ilryas. Glad you feel welcome.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    So rad.
  • PacifistoPacifisto Turnip Extraordinaire Michigan Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    I'm STILL waiting for at least ONE of the Turnips to show up at an Icrontic event :shakehead

I feel like after graduation this coming summer there's a chance I'll show up? Maybe Error too if I can swing it. Who knows!
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Quick note. Doesn't actually matter what happens in life, you never actually ever leave. Kind of like the mafia. Yes, I appreciate that affectively makes Primesuspect "the don".
    edited November 2011
    Oh please. You predate me, user #1 ;)
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    I was led here from a hunting and shooting forum by a tall wild Texan that is legenday in these parts only but a mere 11 years ago. 11 years!!! OMFG, I can't beleive I have been here that long. Is it RVW disease? Or was I just left behind by the mothership? This is the only place I have been short of the VFW where everything from life to death and everything in between is mulled over. I have actually watched many here grow up, even a guy who was just getting ready to ship off for Iraq before retiring from the Army. And now there are many more who have heard the call to do their part.

Can I go hide and just be sentimental for a while now?

BTW
    Excellent read! Niw back to my hole. ;)
    edited November 2011
    Larry, I'm right there with you. I've been going over some of the old folding threads, reading the "Who Are you" thread from the beginning. MAN, talk about a trip down nostalgia road!

<3
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Oh please. You predate me, user #1 ;)

My own little piece of legacy!
  • PV
    edited December 2011
    I read that exact same article ('Why grown-ass men love My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic') and it really made me want to be a part of this community.
  • Hey! This is my first comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout
    out and tell you I truly enjoy reading through your articles.
    Can you recommend any other blogs/websites/forums that go over the same subjects?
    Thank you!