Could use suggestions: buying a new video card

sweavesweave boston
edited November 2011 in Hardware
cpu: core 2 quad 2.4ghz
motherboard: p35-dq6
current video card: nvidia gts 250
psu: pc power 750

okay now that that's out of the way i'm basically in the market for a new video card. i upgrade my vid cards almost once every year to a year and a half and for the first time i'm honestly looking at jumping from nvidia to amd.

another note is that this card is only going to last me until march when i upgrade my cpu, and motherboard. i plan on getting a new one then and giving this one to my brother. (going to give him the 250 in the mean time)
a second note is that i never bother with sli so no need to suggest that. :)

looking at the market nvidia right now seems overpriced versus the power it can deliver. i've looked at the 550ti and the 560ti and i'm not impressed with the former and the latter seems overpriced to me.

instead i've been drawn to the amd 6850 and more so to the 6870 which seem to fit what i'm looking at.

now the questions are

1) which brand should i get? i've always gotten cards by evga (in a pinch) and xfx (loyal customer) in the past but now with the radeons i'm not sure which brand i should go for.

2) my motherboard is over 4 years old now *pat pat* good gigabyte
will the amd cards work on my mb?
do i need to do anything in particular or will a bios update fix any problems i do have?

thanks in advance.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    1) Just find one that offers perks that are interesting to you. Maybe a free game or overclocked speeds. XFX, Asus and Sapphire are AMD's largest/strongest partners.

2) A video card is a video card. If your GTS 250 worked, so will a Radeon.
  • sweavesweave boston
    edited November 2011
    cool thanks thrax

i'll just wait to see some black friday deals and order away
  • boasistboasist Troy
    edited November 2011
    Newegg has a good deal on the 6870 now. Only $150

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150561

I just picked one up yesterday for jimmynogame at our lounge.
  • sweavesweave boston
    edited November 2011
    nice thx
    i think i was looking at that card last week