Using GPU for HD Playback

V-PV-P State College, PA Member
edited November 2011 in Hardware
I've been using VLC for all my HD playback for a while now and it seems to work fine when I'm playing something 720p or lower. When I try to play 1080p, it will give me a choppy playback. I know my laptop (Asus G72) is more then powerful enough to playback 1080p. Looking at the task manager, I'm seeing about 50% load on the CPU during playback. I feel like this task is more suited for the GPU and I've already went into VLC settings and enabled GPU acceleration but the CPU load hasn't changed. Is there a way to give the GPU the burden of the work for a 1080p instead of the CPU?

PS, it's an nVidia GTX 260M

Comments

• fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    You have all the proper codecs installed yes?
  • V-PV-P State College, PA Member
    edited November 2011
    I haven't manually installed any codecs so the only ones that would be installed are the ones that come with VLC and nVidia drivers if they come with any. I've used K-lite codecs in the past and they give me the same choppy result. Sorry if that doesn't help, I'm not completely sure what makes one codec different from another.
    edited November 2011
    pretty much k-lite, which if you are still getting choppy playback with it I don't know.

tried mpc? http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Doesn't VLC have its own built-in codecs?
  • V-PV-P State College, PA Member
    edited November 2011
    Media player classic seems to have solved the problems. I guess VLC won't use any codecs other than it's own. Thanks fatcat.
    edited November 2011
    I'll look more later after but I think VLC only supports 1 core where MPC supports multiple and something with CUDA in MPC and not VLC. Also I believe MPC will use GPU DXVA and VLC will use the CPU to process it
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    VLC uses only its own (generally more than adequate) codecs. There is an option for enabling experimental GPU playback as well, but I've use MPC and VLC interchangeably for a long time.