Workstation Build

pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
edited November 2011 in Hardware
Looking for some feedback on a workstation build I'm doing for my father. Primary use is Solidworks and my biggest tripping point right now is the video card as I'm trying to keep the budget around $1000. Already have a decent case and HD (1 TB WD Black for storage, SSD to be purchased). His current station is an old Opteron dual proc system with a Quadro FX4500.

I have zero clue when it comes to workstation cards. I know I could get a Firepro V4800 for a decent price, which has more ram and a better clock, so that is my first choice. Anything better for a little more? The budget isn't set in stone really. Maybe SLI the current one if possible?

The rest of the system below.

i5-2500K = $214.99
Went with i5 over i7 purely as a cost reason. Sandy Bridge seems to be best currently for this from what I have read. Cut down Mobo for i7 maybe?

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 = $209.99

CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 = $97.99

OCZ Vertex 3 SSD MAX IOPS = $219.00

OCZ 750W PSU
Non-Modular but going for the extra PCI-E

Thanks guys.

Comments

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    FirePro V4900 would be a much better buy than the V4800. Just launched a few weeks ago, and it up-specs the V4800 in every department, and it'll melt that QFX4500 in SolidWorks. MSRPs at just $189.

Rest of the build looks pretty rockin'.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Corsair TX750 V2 got a better rating on JonnyGuru.com (9.5 vs. 9 for performance), is $4 cheaper, and has a 2 year longer warranty period (5 years).

You could also save some cash by not getting the MAX IOPS version of the Vertex 3. The V3 is baller fast already, and you could save $20 more. Up to you.
  • allenpanallenpan ThunderBay, Ontario, CAnada Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    U Don't need quadro or firegl for solid works
    edited November 2011
    I would rather go for NV, as alot of software are utilizing CUDA which only works on NV, does ur friend only use Solideotks? No other softeware, if onlySW no need for qudro. It fgl
    edited November 2011
    allenpan wrote:
    U Don't need quadro or firegl for solid works

*FirePro* FireGl is dead.

You don't need, but if you're a serious professional, then you need. You don't need enhanced synthetics or premium fuel in a super car, but you need it.

If you're going to be building a rig of that caliber for SolidWorks, there's no reason to cheat yourself out on the GPU. It's one of the most important components to professionals, regardless if they realize it or not. Plus, viewport software technologies like RealView from Dassault will not work with consumer grade graphics solutions, no matter how much hackery you put into it.

With SolidWorks, there is no advantage to being CUDA accelerated, so it's a non point. Dassault is actually working more with OpenCL at the moment with hopes to unleash OpenCL powered GPU acceleration in the future. In that case, you absolutely want to be on board with AMD. It's what they bet their lot on, and they're good with it.
    edited November 2011
    i am sure that NV also support OpenCL and some of OpenCL funtions are borrow from CUDA
    edited November 2011
    NVIDIA does support OpenCL, but I can tell you that AMD's efforts with ISVs are leagues ahead of what NVIDIA has accomplished so far.

NVIDIA is focusing on CUDA, for obvious reasons. It's working for them. It's implemented in various areas, and it's making them money. They have OpenCL support, but it isn't as important to them on the development and support front simply because CUDA is their key differentiator at a software level. They're fighting their own key selling point if they do that.
    edited November 2011
    yep yep, and i am in the field of robotic, image processing, and embedded system using CUDA,

my friend works at ATI high level managment, i have box of 5870/5850/5830 he gave me, but they are no use for me at all, as i need CUDA, and i can't find anyone welling to trade NV for my R58x0
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Came here for tall guys with graphics fetish (TGWGF), was not disappointed.

Went with the order above but took Thrax's advice and saved some money on the SSD, did keep the OCZ PSU though (Brofist for Ryder).

Then I had a heart of gold moment and upgraded to an i7 and I'm going to buy the FirePro V4900 for him, he is my dad after all. Get's him out of the deal a bit cheaper and buys him some more processing power.

Thanks for all the help guys!
    edited November 2011
    :D
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    My home SolidWorks workstation has a FirePro V8700 and the difference between it and my work computer (Quadro 570) is like night and day. All my colleagues are super-envious of that Quadro though because they're using Intel Integrated for their workstations. Viewport? More like click, drag, and watch the result in a few seconds port. My work PC is starting to die though and I'm trying to see if I can get the boss to front for a V7900 and a Sandy Bridge Xeon on the new one.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Drew, I can't tell from your post whether you mean the FirePro sucks or the Quadro sucks.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    I'm fairly certain, only by order of sentences, that he means the FirePro out performs the 570
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Drew, I can't tell from your post whether you mean the FirePro sucks or the Quadro sucks.
    The Quadro sucks.