Percent GPU usage no workie.

csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
edited November 2011 in Folding@Home
Ok what's the deal here? I'm in configure section of the V7 1.38 client and I go to reduce core usage to 80% and save. No matter what I do the client still runs the gpu at 100%. Any idea what I am not doing right?

Comments

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    I seem to remember reading that that feature is disabled for now.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Thanks for the reply shwaip ...I'll try it out on the V6.41 client in that case. I think I'll reinstall V7 to make sure that it is set to machine id 1 and then maually set v6.41 to machine id 2.

What's been happening is this. Since I added the GPU to the V7 client all was well for both SMP & GPU until I press "finish". It then bluescreens around the time that it should be at a save interval. Idunno what's going on with that.
    edited November 2011
    Bah ...even the 6.41 client folds 100% when set to 80% in config. Oh well lets see if I can kill this client as needed and not have it bluescreen each time.
    edited November 2011
    Why don't you want to fold at 100%? I didn't have a problem with stability or anything - I did always stop folding when i wanted to game (because I wanted to enable crossfire).
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    I'll say from experience that I quit folding during gaming; Dungeon Defenders runs like total ass when folding is running on the GPU. I don't know if it's a DD problem or a F@H problem, but either way, there it is.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    AMD cards still have terrible utilization during games/videos which cause either major lag or BSOD. One day, they'll get it right. I turn off my folding on rather demanding games, but most stuff runs fine on NVIDIA, albeit slightly lower frame rates than you'd normally get.
  • ErrorNullTurnipErrorNullTurnip Illinois Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Occasionally stopping folding on my video cards will BSOD the system. I've been suspending all my folding using Process Explorer before I get into games.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    You can set fahtracker to pause when you launch games, if it already doesn't have your program in the list to pause when it launches you can edit the file it checks to add other programs and new games.

Used to ATi cards didn't use CPU and you could fold on them while playing games.
    edited November 2011
    Turns out my video card is really crap. I thought this new system would cure that but it doesn't.
    Looks like it's time for a new video card now. I'd like something under $300.

So far I'm looking at either an ASUS ENGTX560 TI if/when it comes back into stock, or an XFX HD-695X-CNDC . I'm leaning more towards the Asus at the moment.
    edited November 2011
    I'll say from experience that I quit folding during gaming; Dungeon Defenders runs like total ass when folding is running on the GPU. I don't know if it's a DD problem or a F@H problem, but either way, there it is.

I definitely do not plan on gpu folding and gaming at the same time no matter what card I get.
    edited November 2011
    From my perspective, you can spend a touch over $300 to hit the next level of performance (GTX570 or 6970 after rebates around 310-330) and I almost exclusively buy EVGA/XFX due to lifetime warranty (though 3 years may be enough for you ... I plan to run folding on this crap for a long ass time). Truth be told, every video card I currently own is EVGA (not sure about the 9800GX2 but that was had no cover when I bought it originally). There is a nice performance bump between those two levels, but you have to decide if the $80-100 is right for you. I ended up going with a 570, personally.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fastest-graphics-card-radeon-geforce,3067.html would be a good set of info to look at for comparison. That information is from this month.
    edited November 2011
    I have had xfx and evga. Of the two I would prefer xfx only because of my most recent experiences. But in looking to upgrade I can't say that much between the upgrades gets me too excited about the 570 and the 6970 cards when I look at the extra cash. The only thing that sticks out is the 320 bit 570 as opposed to the 256 bit 560/6950. I need to research more though but so far I don't see the justification for the exta cash.

Thanks for the link.

Which card did you get? The 3 EVGA 570's I see all look alike.

If I did spend the extra cash I think I would go with the EVGA 012-P3-1578-AR
    edited November 2011
    if you want to do gpu folding I'm pretty sure nvidia is by far the superior choice, especially from the POV of CPU use of the gpu client.
    edited November 2011
    shwaip wrote:
    if you want to do gpu folding I'm pretty sure nvidia is by far the superior choice, especially from the POV of CPU use of the gpu client.

Absolutely. The dev(s) still have many kinks to work out in that regard. In that vein, the difference in PPD is going to be ~4k going from a 560 to a 570, and probably 2x AMD, or greater with either card. I am leaving work and couldn't find quick numbers on AMD folding, so I'm guesstimating based on only one source.

I'll edit in my 570 when I get home.
    edited November 2011
    Also depends on what version of the 560 you get.
    edited November 2011
    Tushon wrote:
    Absolutely. The dev(s) still have many kinks to work out in that regard. In that vein, the difference in PPD is going to be ~4k going from a 560 to a 570, and probably 2x AMD, or greater with either card. I am leaving work and couldn't find quick numbers on AMD folding, so I'm guesstimating based on only one source.

I'll edit in my 570 when I get home.

K ...hurry home. :bigggrin:
    But, have a safe trip!!! :rockon:

If I'm not mistaken ...the only real difference between the two is the bit rate. 256 vs 320. I wouldn't have guessed it would make that much difference in folding.
    edited November 2011
    Bit rate and 25% more processor cores == fast folding.

This is what I got. Was able to get it to 800 MHz stable with minimal voltage bump.
    edited November 2011
    Tushon wrote:

This is what I got. Was able to get it to 800 MHz stable with minimal voltage bump.

Oh I see ...I thought the core count was the same between 560 & 570. Ok ...you talked me into it. EVGA it is. It will be around a week before I order. Stuff seems to go on sale this time of year! :rockon:
    Looking at the EVGA cards now I think I will get the same card you have and just try to overclock it to 800 like you do. Is your mem at 3900?
    edited November 2011
    Tushon wrote:

Does your card have a display port? It's not listed in the "Details" at newegg as having one but it looks like it does from the pic. I prefer the cooling setup on yours to the other style. The exhaust outlet is way bigger.
    edited November 2011
    The port you are referring to is mini-HDMI. I think the DisplayPort models have it in part of the product name on Newegg.
    edited November 2011
    Tushon wrote:
    The port you are referring to is mini-HDMI. I think the DisplayPort models have it in part of the product name on Newegg.
    Hunh? So, if you bought a new monitor tomorrow with display-port would it plug or not?
    edited November 2011
    Not to my knowledge (using the DP, at least). I was not able to find any DVI-D (male) to DP (female) adapters, but my google fu has been weak today.
    edited November 2011
    DP. heh.
    edited November 2011
    shwaip wrote:
    DP. heh.

Totally intentional. You can stick your HDMI in my adapter anytime.
    edited November 2011
    I suppose I could always just add another Syncmaster 225BW to my desktop ...no real problem there. DVI hasn't gone anywhere (yet).