3D PC Gaming/Displays

MalpercioMalpercio Greater St. Louis Area
edited December 2011 in Hardware
Hey all,

I've recently been considering an upgrade to my rig, and I started toying with the idea of 3D. However, I haven't been following the 3D PC gaming front at all, so I have absolutely no clue what is needed, and I am unsure of the extent to which you can mix and match the various components.

I know NVIDIA has the 3D Vision branding and supposedly sells entire kits, but I have no experience with NVIDIA - I've always been an ATI/AMD guy.

So, my questions are, what is out there right now, what is coming, and who offers the best performance for the value?

Thanks!

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    AMD list of supported cards, monitors, and TVs

NVidia list of compatible products (look on the green bar near the top right and you'll be able to select different pages ... I like the AMD page more)

To actually answer your questions:
    AMD and Nvidia both have solutions, typically single cards are capable (the AMD page has a bunch of information and I imagine Nvidia has it somewhere as well). You have to buy specific panels and install a specific set of software (driver, 3d middleware, 3d capable games or playback programs like ArcSoft)

I don't know if there is any "zomg huge changes" on the horizon

I have no idea because I've always felt 3D was gimmicky and probably will continue to do so until it has a much higher level of immersion and much lower fallibility (i.e. you move too far out of position and 3D tends to screw up and I am envisioning something akin to small goggles, headphones/earbuds and hand/gun controllers)
  • MalpercioMalpercio Greater St. Louis Area
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I suppose I should have included "and is it viable yet?" in the OP as well, haha.

I've been curious about it for a while now, but never curious enough to start looking around and see what the options are. I find it rather disappointing that 3D middleware is required.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    Middleware is required for the vast majority of games.

AMD has a small selection of titles that don't need it, and a piece of software called DDD supports the rest (500+ titles). NVIDIA bundles middleware directly into their drivers, and is unlocked with a 3D Vision kit (also 500+ titles).