[BLOG] Hello World, MMOs

Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
edited November -1 in Community
Yay! a blog! I had a blog one time on blogspot...I still think its listed as my website on my IC profile. Myabe I'll update this one more than the other one.

On to the blog post....

One day, long ago, there was EverQuest. Then there was Ultima, and for a time, it was good. MMOs came and went, some were here to stay, like City of Heroes, EQ2, and The Martrix Online. Then World of Warcraft came.

Reasons why WoW was so popular:

1) Warcraft IP
2) Devoloped by Blizzard
3) Appealed to the younger crowed
4) Good endgame content
5) Hype

WoW seems to be the biggest game on earth (and according to XFire it is). But the devs of it (now Activision-Blizzard) treat it just as they would any other game. It is the COMMUNITY that put WoW it it's golden throne on top of other MMOs. Every other game that comes out now is compared to WoW, but not by WoW devs or new MMO devs, but the people who play WoW.

WoW pulled from all of the MMOs before it, taking what made them good and putting them into one package. Now, any game that tries the same thing, such as Warhammer Online, is condemned as a 'WoW clone'. Most games fall into nothing from this curse, such as Lord of the Rings Online, but Warhammer is slowly dethroning WoW as the MMO god.

What fuels WAR is the Warhammer IP. It has a MASSIVE fanbase of tabletop ands miniture gamers. The Warhammer vets are at the core of the WAR community. Those that did not condemn WAR as a clone of WoW are enjoying themselves in what is WoW with a significantly more focus on the PvP, including me. I'm a WoW vet, and now I play WAR, and I enjoy the hell out of it, but PvP is my cup of tea. Endgame never really please me because your opponent dosen't cry when you kill them.

I don't think games should be compared to WoW. Every game is its own entity, and has its own advantages and disadvantages.

Out.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Welcome to the IC Blogs, Gate :)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    WAR is not, and will not, topple WoW. WoW is so sensationally popular because it's dripping with casual players who only want to spend a few hours a week on their MMO habit. The game, especially since the release of Burning Crusade, has made it easier than ever to obtain competitive gear. Since the name of the game in any MMO is gear + content, the casual players keep coming for the growing smorgasbord of repeatable content and the gluttony of acceptable gear.

Mudflation in the quality of rare items, easing the common denominator for obtaining epics and diluting their value assures people will return. People know they can advance quickly, on their own time, and with the help of a self-sustaining populace.

Also, casuals hate PVP.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    While WoW isn't going away, it's interesting to see how many people are heading to WAR. I don't know if it's right to say that casuals don't like PvP. I don't play MMOs, but the people I've talked to (close to 10 of the guys from the local game store) all seem casual and all seem to be enjoying WAR's PvP. They said something about turning into a chicken...