[BLOG] LittleBigPlanet First Impressions

CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
edited November -1 in Community
Many gamers have been drooling over LittleBigPlanet since its introduction at the 2007 Game Developer's Conference. I didn't start noticing it until a few months ago when I was wishing for a good game for my PS3. After watching a few videos, I was hooked. I definitely wasn't one of those crazy people that brought sites down looking for beta codes, but I was very interested in getting in the beta. I didn't make it, so I had to wait like most everyone else.

I'm not a creative person, so my interest in LBP is more in playing the user-created levels and the fact that there is hopefully going to be an endless supply of content. I'd love to experience at least one piece of user-created content, but they can't seem to keep the servers online long enough for me to even login. Therefore, I'm going to talk about the local play.

I'm going to start this portion off by responding to this: "The game looks too cutesy for me." You're going to miss out on a lot of good gameplay if you use that statement to ignore this game. Aside from that, it's not very "cutesy" when you've fried your Sackboy on flaming coals for the third time, or you've been impaled by a bloody shuriken immediately after making it over a massive spike pit. Granted, you're not looking at God of War level bloodiness, but if that's all you're hoping for in a game, I guess LBP truly may not be for you.

Now, to the meat and potatos. LittleBigPlanet is beautiful. LittleBigPlanet is fun. LittleBigPlanet is frustrating. As soon as you start running along the introduction level, you'll realize that you're about to have an amazing experience. You're introduced to the Sackboy with a voice over by Stephen Fry, the same gentleman who narrated The Hitchhiker's Guide movie. After this, instead of overlaying a few opening credits, you're tasked with running through a level with various contraptions that, when triggered, display pictures and names of the developers.

After reaching the end of the introduction level, you're dropped into your Pod, which is essentially the main menu. From here, you can go online to access user content (this is my understanding, as I still am unable to access this portion), play the local story mode, or access the level creator.

The local story mode is a lot of fun. You'll find yourself hopping around on various platforms, controlling rocket-propelled ships, driving around in various vehicles, grabbing onto spinning objects to fling yourself to new heights, and just generally having a good time. Throw in another player or three, and it can get crazy. I only have two controllers, so the largest multiplayer game I've been able to experience is with one other friend. My understanding is that online multiplayer will be added in a later patch.

I found myself getting frustrated more often than I had hoped with LittleBigPlanet. The controls are too, for lack of a better word, "fluffy." When making a jump, it's very easy to overshoot or undershoot the platform you're trying to reach. Sometimes the physics just feel off, and when you've missed a simple platform jump for the fourth time, it makes you wonder why you're still playing. This is exacerbated by the fact that typically there is a noxious gas or flaming bed of coals beneath said platform. Each checkpoint provides you with about 5 "lives." When these are used up, you have to start the level over. This is extremely frustrating if you're near the end.

When you add in a second player, especially one who isn't used to the controls, things get even stickier. There are quite a few bonus areas that require a second person to complete, but sometimes the frustration of making it to the area isn't worth the effort. Just last night while playing LBP with my roommate, he couldn't get to a portion of the level. He said "I'm done with this," and turned off his controller. After a few seconds, his sackboy disappeared, and I was able to continue on by myself. However, the only reason we were playing the level was to clear a few of the bonus areas. Again, if my understanding is correct, the controls will likely be fixed in a later patch.

Even with the control issues, this game is still a delight. While you're playing through the levels, you'll marvel at the details. Then, you'll realize that you could build everything you see in the level creator.

For most, the level creator is LBP's main attraction. In my short time playing with it, I felt the editor was well thought-out and nicely implemented. The controls are simple enough, and the menus are organized in a way that makes sense. There is an immense amount of tutorials, all with voice overs by Stephen Fry. They're witty and enjoyable to watch, and they do an excellent job at instructing you on using the various items, devices, switches, triggers, etc. within LittleBigPlanet.

I plan to write a little more once the LBP servers are more stable, so I can check out the online aspects of the game. Additionally, I haven't completed the main story mode, nor have I really taken the time to sit down with the level creator. Overall, I'd say this game is a great experience with tons of potential, and it's only going to get better.