[BLOG] I'm building an army - Part 2

BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of PropagandaOKC Icrontian
edited November -1 in Community
The second Warhammer 40K Escalation League tournament was Saturday. We had 10 players show up, so I was able to play my Khorne Berserker army against 3 new opponents.

Here's what I took:
HQ - Kharn the Betrayer
Elites - Chaos Dreadnought with 2 close combat weapons
Troops - 2 squads of 8 Berserkers, each with two plasma pistols and a Skull Champion with plasma pistol in Rhino transports with daemonic possession.
Heavy - Defiler with close combat weapons.

The first game, I got schooled. I had to go second, so on the first turn my opponent trashed my transport vehicles and immobilized the Defiler. I lost half my mobility before I had a chance to start. It went downhill from there with my dice hating me and no cover to hide behind. Score was 9 - 1 at the end.

Second game, I played a Blood Angels space marine army equipped entirely with jump packs. I expected to get schooled but the dice were on my side and I did heavy damage on the first turn. The lack of heavy weapons in my opponent's army let me roll forward and capture our objectives while I picked the opposing force apart with shooting and brutal hand-to-hand. It was a massacre I won 10 - 0.

On the last game, I knew I needed to do well if I wanted to place. My first opponent and I were each sitting at 11 points a piece and we figured we were out of the running since another dude had 18 points after winning both games. I got paired with a guy who'd gone 2-0 so far and figured I was finished. He has a well rounded Space Wolves space marine army that was full of hard-hitting veteran units and a Land Raider, the toughest tank in the game. Luck again allowed me to survive the shots from his big tank long enough to maneuver into a safe position and begin working my way down his line slaying his units in hand-to-hand. At the end of Turn 5, he put his remaining 4 models inside the Land Raider and ran away to hide behind a building so I couldn't destroy him completely. When Turn 6 came to an end, I won 9-1.

My first opponent had a similar situation and pulled 9 points out of his final game. We sat tied in second with 20 points. The guy with 18 points got a 10 point win and rocketed ahead to claim first place, but our 20 points were good enough to tie us both for second. A little extra carnage goes a long way.

Here are the photos from the event:

The Defiler emerges from the trees to blast the unlucky Space Wolves sitting in the open behind their Land Raider. The squad hiding in the trees can die later.
IMG_0652.jpg

Here, the Kharn's Rhino and squad prepare to assault with the dreadnought. The Space Wolves have no chance!
IMG_0650.jpg

Next tourney is 1,500 points. I've got another squad of Zerkers in a Rhino, a Khorne Lord with Daemon weapon (2d6 extra attacks), and some additional weapons to throw in that'll make a right mess. I'm looking forward to it.

Comments