[BLOG] An old X850 and a lot of patience - Part 6

lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
edited November -1 in Community
In Part 5, I finished my first vmod and managed to damage my X850 in the process. I always thought I'd ruin a card with a sloppy soldering job but my soldering job turned out to be quite good—it was the hot glue that I used to hold the job in place that was my issue. So, the big lesson to be learned here is: Never glue down your mod until you are sure it works. Trying to pick off the glue caused the solder pad to rip right out of the card and take a piece of a trace with it. I had a chance to check if the X850 made it through the ordeal, and I'm afraid it didn't. Looks like that small trace that was pulled up was critical to the operation of the card. I get a "no video" post beep when trying to boot the system with the card. It does not look like it can be repaired, so I'm going to make the call on this one. Rest in peace Sapphire X850 XT. At least it managed to squeeze into the top 10 spot in 3DMark 2006.

blog_attachment.php?attachmentid=32&stc=1&d=1228597541

I'm still not quite sure why I couldn't get a response from the voltage controller chip on the X850 when varying the resistance. I tested the resistor again last night, and it does indeed drop down from around 9.2KOhm when turned.

So is this ordeal over? No way. I've only just begun.

My trusty old X850 XT will be used as a donor of spare parts and components as well as for fitment of the ram sinks and VR sinks that I'll be constructing. I'll also use it as a template for the vapochill mounting system that I need to modify. I'll also be using it to practice some more soldering on—it'll be good to have a practice card exactly like what I'll be modding. It will definitely come in handy. If you haven't already guessed, I'll be buying another X850 XT—maybe two. There are records to be smashed and the $30-40 I'll have to spend on a video card won't get in my way.

I've still got a lot to do and some strong determination to keep this party rocking.

So, what next?
  • Find another X850 XT or potentially an X850 XT Platinum Edition (I've got a couple of deals pending currently)
  • Construct memory and regulation heatsinks—time to get out the dremmel
  • Buy some AS Allumina thermal adhesive
  • Modify the socket 939/478 Vapochill LS mounting kit for an X850
  • Figure out a way to insulate the X850
  • Find a way to get my Q6600 beyond 4.1GHz (TEC?, chilled water?)
  • Mod the new X850 for VGPU, VDD and VDDQ
  • Secure regulation and memory heatsinks as well as an improved air cooler to test the vmods.
  • Bench away!

Stay tuned. There is still a lot to come!

Comments