[BLOG] Low End Mac users stuck on plain old leopard??

bjbroderickbjbroderick Clinton Township, MI
edited November -1 in Community
MacRumors is reporting that the end might be near for all of us Apple enthusiasts who are unable to upgrade to a fancy new intel mac. The latest build of OS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard" seeded to developers will make the Power PC emulation tool Rosetta an optional install. This feeds into the rumor that Snow Leopard will not be able to run on all of those G5's, G4's, or in my case G3's that we have here to fore been able to keep chugging along. Now granted, my 500 mhz G3 ibook is not the speediest laptop in the world, and I had no expectations of running the new os, but my G4 Mini is still plenty viable, and I am quite upset at this news. Let me know if you are too...

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    PowerPC was a sluggish (arguably: bad) architecture that pandered to Apple's love of the mighty walled garden. It's better for Apple and the greater computing industry that x86 becomes the leading and, more importantly, only standard.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    I'm cool with it. As PPC becomes more and more dated, it only makes sense to let go of it. While PPC systems may lack the latest, greatest iFeatures, their usability shouldn't become any less by this change.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    Snow Leopard... that's the kind of combat pet my 74 Dwarf Hunter has in World of Warcraft.
  • bjbroderickbjbroderick Clinton Township, MI
    PPC is a sluggish platform at this time, but back then it was perfectly viable. People like to bash Apple for their expensive hardware, but you always knew when you forked over all that hard earned cash that you would get the software support to be able to run new operating systems on your legacy hardware. Not official support, but wink and a nod support. Now, i'm not mad about my 9 yr old lbook (or as I like say, my pre 9/11 mac) being too ancient to run 10.6, but my mini was bought only about three years ago. Rosetta is a small implementation in the os, and in my opinion they could have thrown us poor folk a bone.

ps, anyone out there have a 9 year old laptop running Vista? One that originally came with windows 98 or me? We can swap screenshots.
  • trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian
    Leopard will live long on my Sawtooth, and Tiger on my Pismo!

Thus the problem with old Mac's, they just don't die, they serve their purpose for many many years after their best before date :)
  • digitalvisiondigitalvision Detroit, Michigan
    As a long-time tinkerer of old macs (I have a DA533 that is now a Dual 1.73Ghz useful machine, and other undeads lying around) it's a little sad.

So totally agreed, troll - they keep going and going - I had an iBook (the "icebook" G3) that was in service for 6 years - and it still edited SD video!