[BLOG] Prince of Persia

jokerz4funjokerz4fun Michigan Icrontian
edited November -1 in Community
I went to the mall with muh gf this Saturday for some low key shopping. During our mall adventures, we took a small detour to Game Stop. I had a few gift cards burning a hole in my pocket that I couldn't wait to get rid of. The first game I ran to was FFXII for the PS2. I couldn't wait any longer for XIII to come out for the 360. So I opted for the cheaper older version. It was only $20 and it was the collectors edition,,what a steal!!! For my next purchase I was undecided, it was a toss up between Gears of War 2 or Prince of Persia. I've heard great things about both games but what steered me away from Gears of War was the fact that I'm burnt out on first person shooters. Ive had my fill and was looking for something new. I figured that Prince would fill my appetite.

Yesterday (Sunday) with hopes held high I started to play Prince of Persia. The first thing that popped into my head was Assassins Creed. The music, game play, environment, and voice acting are all similar. I swear certain music scores are identical to each other. To top it off both games are made by Ubisoft Quebec. This is not how I wanted to start off my new game, but maybe just maybe things would get better. Oh but they didn't! Lets start with the sound effects. For most of the game I couldn't hear what the hell the characters were saying due to the background noise being so loud. I know what your saying, "Scott why didnt you go into options and turn down music and effects so the voice would be louder?" I DID and then you get to play the game with no music or sound effects. To top that off during the cut scenes the music turns back on and once again you cant hear what the shit is going on. Next is how ****ing short this games is! I played for 4 hours last night and Im 3/4 of the way done. COME ON!! I'm not a super gamer that has mad skillz! This game is way to easy and way to short! This game offers no challenges at all. The boss battles are over in less then 2 minutes and whats worse then all of that is the fact that you cant die in this game. Oh no you read it correctly,,,YOU CANT DIE!! you fall off a cliff and Elika saves you. An enemy gets the upper hand and once again Elika steps in to save you. Lastly is the camera. OMG I cant tell you how many times I had to start over or redo a jump because the camera didnt move or was in a awkward position. Or when you go to jump and the camera moves at the last second, so left is now up and up is know left.

The game does have some good points. The environments are very rich with color and detail. When playing the game you can tell Ubisoft put a lot of time into the development of the Tree of Life map. Another point worth noting is the voice acting. From what I could hear it was very well done. The script seems to flow nicely and Elika and the Prince constantly play off each other. It adds a certain realism to the game.

All and all I was very disappointed with this game. Its to short and the game lacks real challenges. The story line can be difficult to follow and it doesn't suck you into the plot. Save your money and buy another game, this one is truly for the die hard Prince of Persia fans.

Comments

• botheredbothered Manchester UK
    I've said it before but I think the 'golden age' of gaming has passed. Now it seems to be great graphics and not much else. Not many years ago it used to be 'lesser' graphics but hours and hours of great game play, Tomb Raider, Thief and Deus X, to name a few. I have just got Vampire Masquerade Bloodlines cheap from Steam and it reminds me of how it used to be and I'm really enjoying it. The 2004 graphics do not detract from the fun at all. I wish game developers would realise that although top notch graphics are nice, they are not enough to ensure a game is either good value or good fun.
  • Bothered, you hit the nail on the head. Games just don't have much playing quality anymore. When I do play a game, I find myself more excited about the cut scenes than the actual game it self. I was big into unreal tournament. I played ut2k3 a good bit too, actually won a lot of tournaments in it, but not a single game has gelled with me since.

I don't know where the problem is. Is it with he new generation of game developers? Too many college grads working on them instead of people working their way up the gamming ladder? Is it because my expectations have grown too much? Or am I just getting old?
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    I know what u mean, Outside of the TF2 or L4D games from valve no game has been good in the last couple years, the only reason those are good is cause of multiplayer, single player wise nothing since HL2
  • You know, I never played TF2. I played the L4d demo but I didn't like the fact I couldn't crouch lol... I played HL2 DM and liked it some but there is something about the colors in HL2 that makes me a little sick if I play it for a long while. I was afraid TF2 would be the same so I never tried it. But I have seen there is a big following for it and it has made me wonder if I should give it go.
  • DrLiamDrLiam British Columbia
    "single player wise nothing since HL2"

Guessing you haven't played Call of Duty 4 single player.

Good games exist, just got to find them.