[BLOG] My week in hell

WingaWinga MrSouth Africa Icrontian
edited November -1 in Community
[FONT=&quot]I like to think I’ve been blessed with relatively good health. In my 43 years I have never broken a bone, been stitched up or seen the inside of an operating theatre. I cannot remember the last time I had a bad cold or Flu. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Imagine the stress and bewilderment, when after every hearty meal, I developed a pain under my sternum that felt like somebody had kicked me in the solar plexus. No matter how I would lie, stand, sit, bend or kneel it persisted, unabated, moving through to my back where a thousand Ninjas were plunging daggers into it, eating away at my resolve, forcing me to wish for death above anything else. After 2 to 3 hours the pain would finally subside, leaving me with a numbness in my abdomen that I welcomed, despite its foreignness.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This started on Monday and after every meal I would experience the same symptoms. By Wednesday, the pain didn't wait for meals anymore; it just decided to stay as a permanent companion. By 7 that evening I was literally screaming with pain, calling an end to life and the world as we know it. I was rushed through to the emergency room at our local hospital and after a brief examination, found myself booked in for tests and observation. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The next day followed as a blur, while I lay hooked up to saline drips as they pumped me full of pain relieving meds. Somewhere in between the haze they did a CT scan and an ERCP. These revealed stones in the Gall bladder and a blockage in the Bile ducts. These onerous little monsters had obviously been growing and multiplying for years and decided on an all out attack. It was time to take them out.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Friday was the big day and I was wheeled into Theatre. A place I had only previously seen in movies and pictures. The anesthetist was pretty Ok; we spoke about kids and schools and getting a good education…. And then I woke up.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I had pipes in my nose and pipes sticking out my abdomen, my tongue was numb and swollen and every time I breathed I felt my chest was about to explode. Right then, I would have opted for the previous pain if I had a choice. Fortunately they settled me into the ward pretty quickly and I soon had the same goodness running through my veins that had previously taken all my pain away. They had done a laparoscopic [/FONT][FONT=&quot]cholecystectomy, so the surgery wasn’t too invasive and I ended up with 4 little holes in my abdomen. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I heal fast, so by the next day I was discharged[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. Now I’m eating full meals, taking no pain meds and enjoying the time off work. The greatest thing about this time out; is I get to lie in bed all day, waited on hand and foot and catch up on all the good stuff on Icrontic. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]So I suppose all’s well that ends well. I’m pain free, can eat what I want and get to surf the net all day. Well, for this week anyway. Monday it’s back to the grindstone.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thanks for reading; this was a first for me in life’s little events and hopefully a last for some time to come. If I can give any advice it’s to get your Gall bladder checked out if you experiencing similar pains. The doctors normally prescribe antacids and send you on your merry way. You never know, you might be growing your own collection of Gallstones and aren’t even aware of it. [/FONT]

Comments

• I'm glad to hear you're feeling better, Mike!
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    As GH said, glad you are feeling better and had a speedy recovery! Surgery is never fun. Enjoy your week off :)
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    It's amazing how quick surgeries can be these days. Glad you're feeling better!
  • DrLiamDrLiam British Columbia
    Get Well Soon. :[
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    I hope that you feel completely better soon!!
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    My friend went through this same thing, and from my memories of her descriptions of the pain, I am certainly glad you're better now.
  • A woman once told me she would rather have another child than have Gall bladder problems again. I think she had hers removed. Glad you are doing better.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    Hi Mike,

Just saw this for the first time. I am happy to hear things worked out. Hope you have mostly recovered by now.
  • WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    Thanks for all your well wishes. I am back to my old self and running around like nothing happened. It is a pain I wouldn't wish upon my worst enemy. I am just glad they able to fix it so easily and can get back to normal life so quickly.