[BLOG] Get your kicks on Route 66

BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of PropagandaOKC Icrontian
edited November -1 in Community
This weekend was my first trip into town on my new scooter. I had to air up the tires and didn't want to beg the neighbors for the use of their air compressor, so off to town I went looking for free air at the gas station.

This is my first time on the road.

My street isn't too well traveled so I had the road all to myself and was able to get comfortable with my scooter's capabilities and my own. It's a pretty rough road too, which only added to the fun. I took the scooter up to 45mph on a long clear stretch, but then backed off as I came into town. I wanted to prepare myself mentally for driving in traffic and riding through intersections etc.

I made it through town without getting any angry gestures, honked horns or thrown debris. The first gas station I went to was busy and I didn't see any free air. Instead of heading to a known pay station, I went off into the old part of town to see if I could find some. I found a little two-pump 7-Eleven and was able to take care of the tires without issue. From there, I took an old two-lane state highway to the old downtown, went left passing Main Street's old bars, barber shop, and local boutiques, and finally hit Route 66 for the 5 miles stretch back to the house.

It's fun cruising Route 66. The same route I took is how I used to come home from High School right after I got my drivers license. The old biker bar just outside of town has long since closed its doors, and the army surplus store doesn't have pallets of junk stacked outside anymore, but it's still pretty much the same. To my left, I can watch the big trucks barreling down I-40 at some points. To my right are green fields with cows and horses, old farm houses, and small homes. The speedo says 60mph and I've got the biggest grin on my face shining brighter than the bike's headlight. This is what I've wanted to do for so long.

I can't wait to do it again.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    :D
  • KometeKomete Member
    SO when are you going to overclock that scooter?
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    I haven't found any heatpipes that'll fit it... yet.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    * Gargoyle likes this.

Needs a turbo. Or NAWS. You could wear the bottle in a backpack.