[BLOG] Icrontic at E3: Day One

UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA:Redwood City, CA Icrontian
edited November -1 in Community
I'm going to try and blog the conference nightly. I started to write this last night, but unfortunately konked out due to comlete exhaustion.

Things were off to a rocky Monday start here in Los Angeles. Due to a long string of unfortunate events, I was on a separate plane from Scotty and Brian. I arrived in LA well over an hour after them, so we got off to a late start. We were all starving, and needed food. (I hadn't eaten anything since 6pm, SUNDAY). Trying to find In-n-Out burger, we drove through a particularly rough part of town, and at this point we realized we were going to be late for Ubisoft's press conference.

picture.php?albumid=51&pictureid=239

We paniced, couldn't find the theater, had trouble getting to our hotel, things just weren't going well. When we finally checked into our hotel room (which is the size of a large closet, with 5 Icrontians in it) we realized that the free wifi wasn't working. Awesome.

picture.php?albumid=51&pictureid=240

We decided to walk to the LA convention center and check in. It was a walk down memory lane for me, seeing all the scenes I remember so vividly from SIGGRAPH 10 months ago. When we finally sat down to use the internet in the media lounge, we discovered that Ubisoft wasn't until 5pm, we had time to kill.

We split up. Brian and I walked 30 mins to the theater where Ubisoft was holding their show. Scotty, CB, and Rob found dinner and hit the town. The Ubisoft conference was a mess of epic propotions. Their methods of 'organization' were preposterous and inefficient. People going everywhere, some doors not letting us in while other doors are wide open, confusing badge system to get in. We finally got in after they decided to call the battle lost and let people in without badges.

picture.php?albumid=51&pictureid=241

Ubisoft's press conference was not very impressive. We know they have a knockout punch with Beyond Good and Evil 2. They could have blown the show away if they would have so much just talked about it. Instead, ubi showed off another new Rabbids game (at this point, Rayman is completely irrelevant), some casual games, a fitness game, Red Steel 2, Assassins Creed 2, No More Heroes 2... It was rather underwhelming. It was standard fare 'have famous people talk about us' PR schlock. They did, however, show off the new Splinter Cell game. I was blown away, it looks very good. Awesome presentation.

picture.php?albumid=51&pictureid=243

We walked back and met up with the guys in the hotel closet errr.. room. We did some video work and edited a few things, then went to a local bar to meet up with Sledgehammer70 and others. As we walked back to our hotel room we came to an escalator. In my infinite wisdom I decided to run up the down stairs. I made great progress, and as I reached the top I looked up to see Scotty chucking a 'wet floor' cone at me. I couldn't stop it, the thing blasted me on the knee. But did I stop? No. I picked it up, ran the rest of the way up, and returned fire. I eventually dissolved into a hysterical blabbering mess due to being awake for around 40 hours.

And thats the way it was that first day of E3.

Comments

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    I'll get pictures up whenever THE INTERNET STOPS SUCKING.
  • ButtersButters CA Icrontian
    I guess if you don't have an In-N-Out where you live, then I could understand the appeal in trying to go to one. Otherwise, bleh!!
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    PICTURES!!!1
  • wahaywahay Cincinnati, OH Member
    Fun. I love being remind dhow tall you are in comparison to everyone else. You're like a Longcat with a goatee.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    Have I never told you my escalator story? Bad, bad plan.