[BLOG] Icrontic at E3, Day Four

UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA:Redwood City, CA Icrontian
edited November -1 in Community
Thrusday. Ugh, Thursday.

I had a TERRIBLE sleep. I woke up feeling like utter crap, a sickness which betrayed it's presence as I was falling asleep the night before. I had fallen prey to Brian's cold. It was but a matter of time.

The day would be rough for many of us. I had a head cold and started to get a bad stomach ache that lasted all day long. Scotty also complained of an upset stomach early on. Rob even threw up at the convention center. It was kind of like in Team Fortress Classic; an enemy medic poisons a player, that player runs to spawn to grab health, he infects the rest of his team. Icrontic was going down.

But we endured, we persisted, we pressed on.

I didn't get much work done at all this day because of my slowed state. But I needed to do the one thing I had hardly done up to this point - play video games. I cruised around the show floor, checking out all the games I wanted to look at. I also walked in with a fist full of resumes. I knew E3 wasn't much of a job-searching kind of conference, but I wanted to give it a shot. I also made it a point to talk with Disney. My contact wasn't there, but I talked with their Interactive division about work and submitted my credentials.

I tried to check out Project Natal, but unfortunately all the slots were packed full. But I did check out Uncharted 2, NFS Shift, New Super Mario Bros Wii, Dirt 2, among many others.

I also discovered a racing game by Disney called Split Second. It was an arcade racer that lets players trigger massively destructive events spread out all over the track to crash other drivers. For instance on the airport track, the flight tower can be triggered to explode at the base, and the gigantic structure smashes to the ground right next to the player, throwing dust and debris everywhere, crashing nearby cars and altering the course. The game had a very nice graphics engine behind it, and was full of OH CRAP moments, and absolute blast to play.

As the expo rounded to a close, I jumped into a limo with Scott and Harlequin from Sarcastic Gamer. We were off to a relaxed version of Microsoft's afterparty. They provided delicious foods and drinks and talked to us one on one about windows products and our use of them. They shot promo videos for Win7 with Rob and Brian, which can be seen on YouTube. We went to the hotel after schmoozing around there for awhile.

I sat in the window of our 11th floor window watching the sun set over LA one last time, finally relaxing and taking it all in. It was a view full of man-made structures, a great view. The breeze was wonderful, the city solemn. This state completely enchants me, I love it so much. Rob returned shortly and told us his wife, Olivia, had invited all of us to ditch our terrible hotel room and stay in their home in Orange CA for the night. We thought about it for all of 10 seconds before we began packing.

We got to Orange, which is a beautiful city, and immediately hit up In-N-Out. Words can hardly describe how great that resteraunt is. Completely fresh and delicious food for 6 dollars. As we left, Scotty and Brian were on a mission to win the California lottery. The first stop was Walgreens, but the lotto machine was run by Flash and Java and hated Detroit money. We walked across the street to a gas station, and they didn't even sell the things. Feeling luckier than ever, we drove to 7-Eleven where they found and purchased lottery tickets... and lost.

And Scotty TOTALLY owned Brian in that Walgreens.

We walked Rob and Olivia's dogs that night under the beautiful SoCal sky. We retired to their condo, and they gave us drinks. It was a fun night, relaxing and sharing stories and photos of the week. I finally fell asleep to an actual bed and comfort.

Rob and Olivia were outstanding hosts. Not only did Olivia bake us brownies, but she also cooked a delicious breakfast of Eggs, Bacon, and Disney-themed waffles. And Nutella. And OMGORANGEJUICE. It was a pleasure to stay with them.

I'm now currently sitting in LAX, my flight home leaves in 2 hours. It's been a heck of a week, brutal and intense, but oh so fun and lucrative. I'm really looking forward to Icrontic's continuing coverage from inside the gaming industry, and to see where the things gained from this week take us.

Comments