[BLOG] Writing Accountability

GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz QueenMountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
edited November -1 in Community
I have a problem with being accountable to myself.

It's easy to be accountable to other people. If you're in school, you have to get things done or there's a consequence. If you're late to work, you might get fired. There are clear, laid out consequences if you break an agreement you have with someone else. But if you break an agreement with yourself- you only have to answer to yourself. I have a hard time doing that.

I say I'm going to work out- I say I'm going to work on my creative stories- I say I'm going to apply for so many jobs today- I say I'm going to clean my room- I say I'm not going to eat that cookie- and I try to follow through with all of those things, but there's always a way to procrastinate. I'll eat healthy tomorrow! I'll write later! I'll clean my room after I watch Top Chef! It's a neverending cycle, and it needs to change.

That's why, here on IC, I'm going to write something creative as often as possible. Let's say every other day, at least. I don't know what I want to do with my life- but part of me thinks that I could be a good writer. I have TONS of stories running through my head, but whenever I try to write them down I feel like they sound like crap- because they DO. Writing, like anything else, takes practice, and I haven't put in any.

I'm hoping that if I have somewhere where I know a bunch of people will see what I'm doing, that I'll feel like I'm accountable and I have to write something. Perhaps it's not the best way to build a sense of accountability to myself, but I figure that I have to start somewhere. And since there's a good chance that none of you will comment or read what I'm writing, that maybe I will really have to push myself.

I do welcome your comments- I would love any advice that you have to me to improve what I do write. I'm super incredibly nervous about this, and I'm sure I'll get trolled in someway or another, but I have to grow a thicker skin anyways.

Maybe if this works I'll move on to talking about my working out...now that would be something. :x

Comments

• I can totally relate to what you are saying. I tend to put off a great deal, but now I am finding the courage and the energy to do more of the stuff that I want to do in life. We are only here for a finite amount of time, we may as well try to find ways to do more of the things we love. I'll be around anytime you want to post something, I look forward it.
  • KometeKomete Member
    My kind of topic :)

All successful writers will tell you if you want to write, read, read, and read some more. Dean Koontz and Stephen King easily read between 60 to 100 books a year each. Dean Koontz actually reads a lot more from what I've read.

Also, when you are first starting out, don't be afraid to copy a favorite authors style until you develop your own. I'm not saying plagiarize but I'm sure Kobe Bryant grew up trying to imitate Michael Jordan.

Lastly, no matter what you write, you must go back and condense your work. If you write 1000 words, you probably are going to have to edit out about 400 words if not more.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    bump.jpg