[BLOG] To master the stick

UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA:Redwood City, CA Icrontian
edited November -1 in Community
I have set upon myself a quest.

Growing up, I was a fighting game champ. Street Fighter 2 Turbo was my weapon of choice. My friends wouldn't play me in it, they got tired of being destroyed. I never dug into many of the other big 16 bit fighters, Mortal Kombat for instance.

Smash Bros on the N64 was my next obsession. I mastered that game quickly, learning the smash attacks and how to combo with items. I dabbled with some other fighters in between, some Tekken, Soul Caliber, Darkstalkers, (heck, I'll even admit to loving Clay Fighter). The movie theater I worked at got an old cabinet of Street Fighter 2, I used to stay hours after my late shift playing my coworkers on that thing, those were the days.

Then I discovered FPS, and PC gaming. My fighting game days seemed to disappear.

Fast forward to today, Street Fighter 4 is upon us. It's beautiful art style combined with the addition of new technical aspects on top of the classic SF2 gameplay made my mouth water, I HAD to get back into it. Unfortunately for me, the PC release was delayed until July, and I no longer buy current gen consoles.

Expo Icrontic 2009, Rolleggroll tells me he's bringing SF4. I get pumped. He shows up with his A game and his custom built arcade stick.

I get obliterated. No, not obliterated, absolutely DOMINATED. I mean, shameful, completely. That night, I made a decision. I needed to get back on top of my fighting game abilities, I was going to MASTER Street Fighter 4... and I was going to do it with a stick.

Inspired by Eggroll, I sat down with his stick and trained each day. Much to his (and others) frustration, I tried again, and again, and again, and struggled with sloppy stick handling and new game mechanics.

But I will master it.

I'm going to buy SF4 when it comes out on PC, and I'm buying a stick. As per Eggroll's suggestion, I'm buying the MadCatz SE joystick, and swapping out the parts for official arcade parts found at www.lizardlick.com. I'm grabbing a sanwa compatible stick with an 8-way octogon gate, and replacing the pushbuttons with Sanswa buttons.

It will be glorious. I just need to get the parts.

I'm tracking my progress loosely as I learn the game and the stick. Mark my words, I will be a fighting game champion again.

And Eggroll, at EPIC 2010, we shall fight, and ICHQ will crumble to the ground as our epic, storied rivalry meets it's wonderful bloody apex.

I cannot wait.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Lynx, I love ya buddy, but...

eggroll has a slight... built-in advantage on you... ^_^
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    haha!

Kingpin and I were JUST talking about that.

Oh no, I don't expect to actually BEAT Eggroll in a fighting game. He does have the azn adv. But I want to hold my own, I want to at least give him a struggle before he pwns me.

Plus, he actually has real live arcades in Cali. They simply don't exist in any reputable form around here.
  • rolleggrollrolleggroll Next to a bowl of rice
    Since you will be playing on the PC, I'd recommend using something like Execution Aid 2. Its a little program that tracks all of the moves made on the controller/stick etc. It goes more in depth than the ingame move tracker. Also it lets your record your session and compare it to previous logs.

A perfect example of of Execution Aid 2 in practice is showcased in the "Spin & Win" video
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    very cool, thanks for that link. I'm downloading that tonight.

Stick should arrive either tomorrow or Thursday. Sanwa parts will probably take longer, seems to average around 2 weeks according to Lizard lick.

What really sucks, it's vacation time at the Studio. So I'm scheduled to work thursday the 9th through sunday the 19th. Not a single day off to dedicate to digging into this game :/