[BLOG] Takashi Miike

_k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
edited November -1 in Community
Takashi Miike, a name that turns heads if you know who he is. For the uneducated he is a prolific and controversial Japanese filmmaker, directing 70 films/videos/TV episodes. I fell into the category of the uneducated up until a few months ago when after being told to watch Oldboy was told the next movie to watch in the progression of foreign demented films was Ichi The Killer.

Ichi The Killer is insane, violent, and absurd.

A quick back story: I have a love for cheap B movies, horror films, and gore movies: i.e. Blood Car, Bottle Rocket, The Devil's Rejects, House of 1,000 Corpses, Versus, Oldboy, Buying the Cow. I would like to say that I have seen many movies or seen a wide variety but I almost never trump someone completely when referencing strange or odd bawl movies.

Those things aside Ichi The Killer was the first step, quickly I felt the need to know more of the man that could develop and deliver such a horrific and manic movie. His history tells of a love for organized crime, if not direct connection, and want to shock and aw the audience with the insane plot lines filled with mutilation and extreme carnal desires.

This was after only watching one film, then came Visitor Q and Izo. The plot line and development of these films show a fragmented mind that has no limits in acceptable behavior. During both of these films I felt myself wondering how these events could be connected or this makes NO SENSE to later be amazed and watch all the pieces fall into a collective whole as, what I feel is, the unfolding of Takashi's mind for the world to peer in and see. I am completely engrossed in this man's works, the first time ever for a director. I am not ripping through all of his major films but slowly progressing in my own manner and only watching them after strongly lamenting over not having seen them.

If you have a strong gut and taste for the abstract the works of Takashi Miike are something to look into and watch.

Wrote this while watching Stranger Than Fiction.

Comments

• rolleggrollrolleggroll Next to a bowl of rice
    Ichi the Killer is definately in a class of its own. While I might not have liked the movie, I still liked what it "tried" to do. Also deep-frying has never been more fun.