[BLOG] 2009 SCCA National Championships- Rain to Dry

pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
edited November -1 in Community
Well, after two qualifying sessions I sit 5th on the grid with one more session to go tomorrow. The first qualifying session on Tuesday was WET and FOGGY. You literally could not see down the front straight because it was so foggy. We found out that our rain setup for the car did not work and the car handled horribly. I now pray it does not rain on Sunday!

Todays qualifying session was much better though. It was dry and a little sunny so I had high hopes of putting together a good lap or two. Welll, the race gods had something to say about that one. The car did not handle well off the bat and took a little bit of coaxing to get up to speed. Once the car warmed up and I finally got going there was a slight incident. As I was passing another car on the inside he hooked a wheel in the grass and spun across the track. His nose clipped my rear wheel and luckily, did no damage. He then proceeded to hit the wall and SPLIT HIS CAR IN HALF. No joke, the car was literally in half. I'll try and get some pictures of it, but it was wild. After this I thought I had a flat tire where he hit me so I cruised to the pits to have it checked out. Turns out that the tire was fine but that I actually had part of his bodywork stuck in between the tire and the rim of my right rear. I was about 6" away from having the back end of my car torn off. Well while I was in the pits there were a few more incidents so they flagged the session early. It was a bummer since I didn't get to improve on my times, but I'm happy since the car made it back in one piece. 5th place will work just fine for now.

I'm out at 11:30 for my final qualifying session tomorrow and then its on to the race on Sunday! Time to pass out now.

Comments