[BLOG] man in the mirror

fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
edited November -1 in Community
Hello blog, been awhile.

As many of you know, I have been on a mission to lose weight down to my Army weight of 185lbs. Today I weighed in. I was 7lbs away two weeks ago, and I seriously thought I would have no problems hitting goal today, so I could move on to the next part of training. I was 3lbs short.

And while I'm not completely upset with this, it got me thinking about 'coming up short' with life.

I have a really bad habit of analyzing everything, especially things that have happened in the past. Of course, what we learn from our mistakes, helps us with future decisions. But, how many times have we thought we gave 100% at the time, only to realize down the road, we really didn't.

Ever come so close to a goal, you could smell it, only to end up a few steps short?

So, I have another week on my diet to lose the last 3lbs. Not a big deal, but not where I wanted to be this time in October.

Speaking of October, Icrontic's Oktoberfest is soon approaching! Just three years ago I started this event with the help of Brian and Matt. We have gone from 12-15 attendees to now 30 plus. WOW! This just got real folks!

I love Oktoberfest. All-Hallows ale from K-brew. The halloween party with Eric's DJ equipment. The laid back atmosphere of not having any plans, just good times.

This year is a little different for me though. Last year at this time Brian and I were sitting in K-brew, discussing life, and he said, "2009 is going to be our year, Greg." We raised our glasses to a cheers, and both agreed 2009 was going to be awesome.

And you know what, it has, for the most part. Let me give you a recap of my 2009

January: Las Vegas for CES, Detroit for Icrontic Winterblast'09
March: Detroit for Icrontic's St. Patty's party
May: Started losing weight program
June: Detroit for 2 weeks, Largest Icrontic Expo|LAN ever
July: Hosted a lake party and went to Kansas City
August: Visited Baltimore, D.C., New York City, Vermont
-Went back to DC for a funeral, my dog died
-Went camping in Iowa
September: Back to Vermont for funeral, Icrontic Rennfest in D.C., Jeff's BBQ in Maryland
October: Lost 50lbs, Detroit for Icrontic Oktoberfest

So, as you can see, my 2009 has been a roller coaster. But I'm still standing. And that's why a group of us men at Oktoberfest are going to drink to the times. To the bad, the good, to the friendship we have. Some of you may call emo or QQ, but I see it as a celebration that we made it through 2009, and to bring on 2010. We may have some bad luck, but we never give in.

Speaking of giving in. Last week I got back on an anti-depressant. I was diagnosed with depression in 2006. No, I am not depressed now, and have been off medication for three years.

This is more of a preventive maintence. Why? Because I do get depressed around Christmas time. I'm sure most of you know, but I am divorced, and my children live in Pennsylvania. I live in Missouri. I have to work the day before and day after Christmas, so I do not get to see them. I sit home alone Christmas day. Also, going through two funerals this year has been quite brutal on my soul. Especially when one of them was my friend Chris, who was only 29.

So, I'm letting my body adjust to the drugs, taking it one day at a time, and already planning 2010. Although, I think I'll be happy taking the back seat on this road trip next year. Being 100% GO! in 2009 has worn on this man's body.

I just got one last thing to take care of....

<3 Greg

Comments

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    Oktoberfest will be awesome.

You know, I was going through some old IC pics a week ago. I think they were from late early 08, when I was still new to the community. Comparing to recent pictures of you, have have trimmed up quite a bit. It's a noticable difference. Great work man.