[BLOG] A final snowfall

UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA:Redwood City, CA Icrontian
edited November -1 in Community
Tonight I worked a long shift no thanks to the winter Olympics. As you all know, NBC hosts the Olympics, so the late news broadcasts must wait until they say GO. Typically, we go on the air at 11pm. Tonight, it was 12:17AM. So I left the building just a little after 1AM, quite tired.

As I stepped outside, I was hit by that familiar blast of frigid air that I hate so much. I walked out of the live truck carport and looked to the sky. Copious amounts of large, lake effect snowflakes were floating the the ground, delivered from the heavens. I grumbled to myself about how much the weather sucks and made the trek in the 2 inches of fresh snow out to my truck, which of course was parked in the far lot, by itself, surrounded by 50 yards of snow.

I made it to my truck, turned it on, and began brushing the snow off of it. As I finished cleansing my truck from its white bindings, I looked up for a moment and became entranced. Snow was falling slowly all around me, accentuated by the lights in the lot. It was as if I were in a snow globe, recently given a firm shake by a grinning child. I just stood there and watched the snow, mouth agape. In all of this anti-winter bitterness, I had forgotten the pure beauty of falling snow. Chilled water seeped into the canvas of my sneakers, introducing its unpleasant feeling to my socks with a cold hello, but I didn't care, I was suddenly happy to stand there and just watch. This moment could be one of the final times I experience snowfall like this.

I started to think about the winter time. In two months I'm moving to California. I'll be living in a world where Winter time means temperatures in the upper 50's. There is no snow out there. There aren't any annoyances from wet feet, or snow tracked into the house, or vehicles getting stuck on the side of the road, or blasts of cold air striking exposed skin as it sneaks into your jacket's sleeves. And there won't be the white beauty of a desolate, cold world. Trees will not share a bleached topside, and lawns will not betray the presence of snowflakes by shimmering like glitter under the moonlight.

I hate this weather, but as I stood there, freezing and wet in the bitter Michiana air, I realized that after all of this, I just might miss it.

Who would have thought?

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Old
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    I will mail you ALL of the snow.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    *sigh*

With friends like these.....
  • Pssh, soon enough you'll be raking in buku Pixar bucks, taking vacations to go skiing in Breckenridge with snow bunnies on each arm.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    What're you talking about? We get weather and seasons here! ...we just skip all the shitty ones.
  • I don't miss it. On Presidents' day, Olivia and I went hiking. The view stretched from the Pacific Ocean in the Southwest to the mountains in the Northeast. Those mountains sheathed in snow.

It was all I needed of the snow this winter.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    Hah, very good points!

Yesterday it was 45 degrees outside. Today? 30 with a heavy and wet rain/snow mix. The ground was covered in an inch of slush and no matter what you did, you couldn't protect your neck from that freezing liquid grip.

It was all it took to remind me that maybe I won't miss it afterall.