[BLOG] The Computer SitRep

edited November -1 in Community
So, I'm a geek, nerd, philanthropist, manipulative asshole, and narcissistic fleshbag vehemently intent on enjoying life to the frustration and detriment of those around me. I'm a rampant lover of all sorts of grey inverted cranial buckets and singlemindedly strive to do nothing but learn, read, code, and game, placing no value on anything barring video games, fornication and knowledge. That's pretty much me in a nutshell.

Knowing this, you can bet your upper and lower cheeks that I feel naked without a computer, namely either my desktop or my netbook. I tried to negotiate with Job Corps to bring the latter, to no avail. They tell me I'll have internet here, that lots of kids play games here and that Job Corps isn't for those things. As you will no doubt hear in a later rant in another section of the blog, Job Corps also isn't a good place to live. Period. When work becomes your respite from home and you are excited to get 6-7 hours out of dorm, there's a massive issue. (But I digress<- I hate this phrase. I want it to die.) Back to the topic at hand.

Job Corps, like any federally run institution that's mission statement doesn't contain 'Protecting Americans From...', puts computers on a back burner. A cheap back burner. One with a leaky propane tank and an overzealous pilot light sitting next to a playground full of orphans and their warm elderly caretakers.

The majority of computers here, and nearly every one that I am allowed to touch, are thin clients, running bare essentials with virtual desktops and IE6. IE6 stripped so bare that if it was a woman you would probably hand her skin back to her. Most outgoing ports are blocked, websense is so strict so as to be stifling, I swear the internet has found a way to dilate time, becoming slower than is mathematically possible, and all we are told we are allowed to do is check our emails, read news and look for work. >_<

The security professional onsite has a tendancy to be way too busy to care about your tiny, pathetic issues, and is obviously overworked, a wee bit outdated, and generally full of malice and spite. He's probably reading this as I type. Hi. Don't hate me.

Linux is non-existent (at least no form accessible by students) bringing a desktop or laptop is banned and those gamers they told me about are all console gamers. Now let me explain something I arrived here at the beginning of September, and Starcraft 2 had not been out that long. My EVE accounts were becoming lonely, and my VPS had not seen any logins in a bit. I was unable to park my 'what' account, and numerous other things. No, I do not enjoy life right now. Over half of the students here have never heard of Starcraft, the other half are habitual liars who claim thay are all DoTA champions with friends at Microsoft Game Studios and Japanese stripper girlfriends back home, so generally barring about two people, I am alone in my über-geekdom, my alpha-nerdness, and my interests.

So yes, the SitRep is FUBAR, SNAFU, and generally totally fucked.

I am sitting at a Job Corps with a 'switchblade' USB stick and a BackTrack LiveDVD, and I am alone.

Fuck.