iPad Owners, a question...

NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
edited December 2011 in Hardware
My parents are interested in replacing an aging desktop (Celeron based eMachine, yeah buddy) with a tablet. I'll likely be recommending the iPad, but I'm curious as to whether or not any of you have made the same switch and found it restricting in any way.

I'm most curious as to whether any of you do your taxes on your tablets, in particular. If anything, I feel like this will be the dealbreaker. I'm aware of the apps for taxes available, but I've no experience with them or whether or not they're any good.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    They're not good. They also won't be able to do any Office-style work.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: except for very specific users, a tablet is no replacement for a computer, especially a desktop.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    FWIW, I'm thinking of doing the same for my parents. And I completely disagree with @Thrax. (Well, if by "tablet" he means "iPad" anyway. I'd agree insofar as the Android variants are not on the same level).
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    I hate to bring up the guy, but my old boss replaced his laptop with an iPad 2, and he did basically everything on it, including writing full blog posts and I know he had a financial app that he loved; can't speak to tax prep, though.
  • If you use one of the web-based tax services, such as TurboTax online, I'm assuming it would work just fine on a tablet.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    @Ghoosdum that's exactly what they use, cloud-based tax services. I've asked for a listing of main uses that this tablet would hope to cover, tax was #2 on the list before I remembered TurboTax is mostly web-based.

There will be laptops in the house, so presumably anything that can't be handled by the tablet will be covered by the laptop (however rare that might be). I'll be sticking to an iPad recommendation as I feel that the Android experience is no place for my parents (or anyone's parents, sadly) as much as it pains me to say that.

Thanks for the input, guys. I appreciate it.