Windows 7 upgrade

yossarian084yossarian084 Norwich, VT, USA Member
edited January 2012 in Internet & Media
Gents,

happy New year!

I'd like to upgrade from Windows XP to 7. I've heard people have had trouble just installing the software and that it was better just to buy a new computer. I'd like to keep the one I've built though, can I just get an HD with 7 on it?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    What is in your PC?
  • yossarian084yossarian084 Norwich, VT, USA Member
    ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Black Processor HDZ720WFGIBOX

OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model

SAPPHIRE 100265HDMI Radeon HD 4830 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Plus a bunch of different HDs.....
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited January 2012
    Windows 7 is not very challenging to install by itself, but upgrading from XP is not officially supported and not recommended. I value the clean install of 7 and installation of new/updated programs as part of it.

There is not an easy way to "just get an HDD with 7 on it", and I'm not sure it would work as expected even after installing drivers. The easiest way to accomplish this would be to backup your current data, install 7 fresh onto the drive and let it figure out drivers (just make sure it is plugged into your network via ethernet or it should prompt you for WiFi if you have that and ethernet is not available).

Use something like CPU-Z (direct link) to give us some information about your computer. Run it as admin if you encounter an error and then on the "About" tab, you can save a report as TXT and then attach it to your a reply (there is a link "Attach a file" below the text reply box.

EDIT: in response to your post, you should definitely be able to move to Windows 7. The rest of my post stands. I would go to x64 just in case you decide you want more RAM one day.
  • quake101quake101 Ohio Icrontian
    I agree, Win7 x64, clean install. :D

Your computer should run it just fine.
    edited January 2012
    Clean install meaning on a fresh (or reformatted) HD?

I am at work so will run the CPU-Z when I get home....
    ....and the 64 bit version comes with the software?
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    ....and the 64 bit version comes with the software?
    Well, no, Windows does not come with software that is not part of Windows, and there are MULTIPLE x64 sub-versions. I have Windows 7 Professional x64.

Only if XP Mode is installed do you have the ability to run older software with Windows 7 that does not have updates available for running with Windows 7 x64. XP mode will give you the ability to run software meant for XP.

edited January 2012
    Yes, either a blank HDD or one with data you don't care to save. You would let the installer redo the partitions anyways, so you don't need to reformat or wipe it separately unless you are concerned about data security.

You don't really need to run CPU-Z anymore, based on what you already provided. It was just an easy way to provide details about the computer for us to get a baseline of support availability.

I don't know what you mean "comes with the software". I'm just referring to "upgrading" from XP to 7 as having a lot of accumulated baggage that isn't good to carry, where a fresh install is nice and trim. You would need to account for any software you want on the system, such as Office or Photoshop, for example, and if you have the installers or if they will even run on Windows 7 normally.

EDIT: Regarding XP Mode, it is not a requirement, as many programs will run normally even if they were designed for XP. There are a special few that will only run normally in XP mode and from quick googling, I was unable to find any sort of list.

This M$ site seems to indicate that you can upgrade from XP to 7, but again, I don't think it is a good idea.
    Great info! I chatted with a rep at Microsoft and she was trying to sell me on the simple upgrade, but I agree that a clean reinstall is best. Plus, I like to have the disk in case anything goes wrong.

I'm (obviously) not smart about the x64 processing. Can my current system handle it? Is XP Mode a standard feature of 7?

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    Your processor can handle 64-bit computing.

XP Mode is not standard, but is available in Win 7 Professional and higher versions of Windows 7 (Enterprise, Ultimate). Professional is the proper version to buy for the vast majority of buyers. This chart will help compare the versions, if you'd like.
    To clarify, and correct me if I am mistaken, by proper version, you only mean "proper version that can use XP Mode", as I will still insist that many, if not the vast majority, of people do not need XP Mode.
  • trooster89trooster89 Are you from London? Icrontian
    Make sure you do a fresh install of 7. The "upgrade" option may sound appealing but trust me your better off with a new install.
    One thing to think of that has not yet been covered - I said XP Mode because a 32 bit (only) program is not going to run well with Win 7 x64 if you want it to run at full effectiveness. That is, for programs ONLY intended for 32 bit use, rather than those that decide how to install based on the installers detecting x64 or 32 bit and installing appropriate subversion of the program.

Corel sells one install archive or DVD or CD (varies on how you buy program and what media it comes on if you buy physical disks) for BOTH 64 bit and 32 bit for any given program, the installer installs appropriate files based on what it detects. Many other publishers do this, but some do not.

Futuremark, for its benchmarkers, installs BOTH file kinds and at run time the programs detects 64 or 32 bit and load what it (each of them) needs. So, there are two basic ways some programs will run in 64 bit and 32 bit or be installed for the OS subversion that is there.

Therefore, BEST practice would be to try only programs you know will work both ways in versions that work in XP natively at least. Programs that have to be run in compatibility mode to earlier than XP in XP, I cannot recommend in 7.
    As usual, you guys are a fount of knowledge. Thanks much!
    One thing to think of that has not yet been covered - I said XP Mode because a 32 bit (only) program is not going to run well with Win 7 x64 if you want it to run at full effectiveness. That is, for programs ONLY intended for 32 bit use, rather than those that decide how to install based on the installers detecting x64 or 32 bit and installing appropriate subversion of the program.
    This is not true. Windows x64 is x86-64, meaning it's perfectly capable of context switching between 32-bit and 64-bit applications with identical performance and compatibility.

The only potential pitfall is if the application is simply designed in such a way that it won't run on Windows 7, but that has nothing to do with 32-bit vs. 64-bit.

What you do lose is the ability to run DOS programs.
    edited January 2012
    This is not true. Windows x64 is x86-64, meaning it's perfectly capable of context switching between 32-bit and 64-bit applications with identical performance and compatibility.
    Earlier Windows than 7 may have done this better - the first experience I have had with 64 bit Windows is Windows 7. I have gotten wierd glitches out of 32-bit only programs in Win 7 Pro 64 bit. They disappeared when I reinstalled the programs in XP Mode desktop session.

Slowness to load was among the most obvious problem, followed by lag to function. They RAN, yes, but radically limped. Things like Paint Shop Pro Photo x3, for example, and that was and is hardly a DOS program. It runs fine in XP Mode as to speed and function performance. I could name others. Quite a few others.

One further thing - why do even upgrades of Win 7 come with DVD for 32 bit and one for 64 bit???? Why not a unified version??? Why is XP Mode even in existence if there is no use for it????

OK. I have the software and the 64 bit disk will not load, probably because I am running at 32bit currently. Do I have to restart, go into BIOS and boot from the 64bit disk? Is there really a big enough difference between 32 and 64 to justify the hassle?
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    Yes, and yes. Reboot, head into the BIOS, specify your optical drive as the boot device, and boot from the disc.
    All right. here goes.....
    OK. Windows 7 install complete, but my audio stuff is not compatible with the new version. Its wont even recognize the devices when I plug them in.
    OK. Windows 7 install complete, but my audio stuff is not compatible with the new version. Its wont even recognize the devices when I plug them in.
    Well, it might need drivers, so what audio stuff-- is it a card in the computer, an Apple iPod, something else? Please specify what it is so we can help more.

Type device model into google with "win 7 driver" at the end and I imagine you'll find what you seek.
    edited January 2012

One further thing - why do even upgrades of Win 7 come with DVD for 32 bit and one for 64 bit???? Why not a unified version??? Why is XP Mode even in existence if there is no use for it????
    For these apps :)
    The only potential pitfall is if the application is simply designed in such a way that it won't run on Windows 7, but that has nothing to do with 32-bit vs. 64-bit.
    I do some in home recording with Pro Tools. Is the windows XP mode the way to go?
    Try installing it normally first ...
    Yeah, I did and it wouldn't work unf. I think I may be hosed....
    Well, you also have the possibility of using a Windows XP VM through VMWare Player or something similar. Full XP install inside of full Windows 7, but I do not know what performance would be like on your machine and how hard that would be to setup as desired (i.e. getting the XP VM to see all of your inputs/outputs and making it not lag either way).
    To be honest, all the audio gear is a bit dated anyway. Maybe its just time to upgrade....

Thanks for all the help guys.