Halp I'm nine and what is this (PC issues)

GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz QueenMountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
edited January 2012 in Science & Tech
Hello dahlings,

I've been having some problems with the big PC lately. I had some viruses (I must have been doin' it rong), but I think that I have gotten rid of all of them. (Not 100% sure, though). For some reason though, in the last few days, the internet on my PC has been absurdly slow during the day, but normal at night. This doesn't affect any other computers on my network, so I don't think that the issue is the ISP.

I have been considering just reformatting, but I figured I'd inquire here to see if anyone has any suggestions about what's been going on. For the record, I'm using an internal wireless card on my PC right now.

FYI, I'm in class right now and I won't be home till around five pm, so I won't be able to do anything to my big PC till then.

Comments

• AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    If it were me I would reformat it anyway, there's no telling if you actually got rid of everything. Plus a fresh new install feels fabulous, like a colon cleanse.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited January 2012
    Check your proxy settings. One of the pieces of malware we contracted at work had set the proxy to loop back to a specific port on local host where the software was listening, leading to a huge slow down in perceived browsing speed.
  • quake101quake101 Ohio Icrontian
    Like @GHoosdum said, check your proxy settings, some nasty malware like to create it's own loop back proxy to deliver ads, updates, etc to itself.

You should run a malware bytes scan and run combofix as well. :)
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited January 2012
    Like @GHoosdum said, check your proxy settings, some nasty malware like to create it's own loop back proxy to deliver ads, updates, etc to itself.

You should run a malware bytes scan and run combofix as well. :)
    I already did the malware bytes scan and ran combofix. :) Thanks!

Also ran superantispyware and rKill.

• quake101quake101 Ohio Icrontian
    You could also to 2 continuous pings, 1 to the local router and 1 to a public IP address. See if you're getting any type of packet loss.
  • Anne's plan will certainly do the trick. ;)
    Sigh, I should probably just do that, I just find reformatting really annoying. Gotta download an ISO and figure out how to boot load it, redownload all of my games and drivers, figure out how to save my steam game history, etc.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited January 2012
    Check your proxy settings.
    Totally agree. Control Panel --> Internet Options --> Connections Tab --> LAN Settings
    Uncheck the use a proxy server options.

You can also check your HOSTS file for any malicious entries. Assuming you have never altered it, you can look here for how to get to it and what it should look like.

For other things you can run:
    CCleaner (make sure to look at the options for the file cleaner, and you can probably let everything go in reg cleaner)
    ComboFix (just follow the directions)
    Malwarebytes (update and full scan)

EDIT: between talking to people at work, this comment was already stated and you already did it anyways.

For Steam, there is a backup function built-in to steam, but I've never had to use it. You may want to partition your drive when you do the reformat to have a windows partition and data partition separate so you can wipe Windows without losing Steam. PM incoming about ISO
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Steam game history? I've reinstalled three PCs in the past month and have had zero issues with Steam except for Terraria saves. Any game that doesn't use Steam cloud (Terraria, Skyrim, probably others) is stupid, but yeah, you should back up those saves. Most of them are in c:\users\titsmcgee\My Documents\My Games\

Just back up your entire \titsmcgee folder and you'll have basically everything.
    Check your proxy settings.
    Totally agree. Control Panel --> Internet Options --> Connections Tab --> LAN Settings
    Uncheck the use a proxy server options.

You can also check your HOSTS file for any malicious entries. Assuming you have never altered it, you can look here for how to get to it and what it should look like.

For other things you can run:
    CCleaner (make sure to look at the options for the file cleaner, and you can probably let everything go in reg cleaner)
    ComboFix (just follow the directions)
    Malwarebytes (update and full scan)

EDIT: between talking to people at work, this comment was already stated and you already did it anyways.

For Steam, there is a backup function built-in to steam, but I've never had to use it. You may want to partition your drive when you do the reformat to have a windows partition and data partition separate so you can wipe Windows without losing Steam. PM incoming about ISO
    Well, right now I have things partitioned into windows being on my C drive, and everything else being on my D drive. I have accidentally saved things to C before, so I guess viruses could have wormed their way on there, though? I also have no idea how to reformat just one drive...

Well, right now I have things partitioned into windows being on my C drive, and everything else being on my D drive. I have accidentally saved things to C before, so I guess viruses could have wormed their way on there, though? I also have no idea how to reformat just one drive...
    It is possible, but you can choose to select a single partition for installation and to leave the D: partition alone during installation. Just make sure to choose "clean/advanced" and you'll see a map of the drive. You'll select the first section instead of the D: section. At least this way, you'll try it and if it works, great. If it doesn't, you're still in for a full reformat and reinstall anyways.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    Plus a fresh new install feels fabulous, like a colon cleanse.
    I like the way you think Annes ...Queenie get back with report please.

• Never not reformat and reinstall after an infection.

As long as your user folder is backed up (which you should be doing on a regular basis anyway) you should be fine.
    I checked the proxy server option, and it says I don't have anything with that set up, so I guess that's not the issue. Full reformats for me, fun. Could someone tell me which steam folder I have to save to keep my save games?
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited January 2012
    I think it depends on the game. :(

For example, if I recall correctly, I think Terraria saves to your User\Documents\My Games folder.
  • ErrorNullTurnipErrorNullTurnip Illinois Icrontian
    In the main steam library window, select the list view on the top right. It will show which games have cloud sync. The ones without cloud sync are the only ones you have to worry about and are stored somewhere in \Users\\Documents\ or \\AppData\.
    So, I figured while I was doing all of this stuff, I might as well install my new graphics card I got a while back. I did so, and now my computer when it is turned on is making this horrible shrieking noise. Am I correct in thinking that the PSU isn't powerful enough now to support my new card?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    That, or it's not plugged in to the dual auxiliary power connectors that card has.
    Ooooohhh, yes, I only had it plugged in once. I put the old card back in because I assumed it was a PSU issue; Rob, could you recommend a new PSU for me?
    Oh, and the reformat did fix the issues I was having with the computer. You were right, Annes, a reformat DOES make everything all scrubbed clean and new. The computer is running faster now, too.
    What is your budget.
    edited January 2012
    Ooooohhh, yes, I only had it plugged in once. I put the old card back in because I assumed it was a PSU issue; Rob, could you recommend a new PSU for me?
    I'm not Rob, but something from this this listthat fits your total wattage requirement (that list is Corsair, Seasonic, PCP&P and Silverstone, 80+ silver or better)
    I guess the better question is what's the new graphics card, Rob? I don't remember.
    edited January 2012
    Radeon 5870.
    Thanks!
    Hey guys,

I'm having issues again. Now, the computer keeps freezing. Whenever I load it in normal mode, it freezes soon after loading, oftentimes when I try loading a game or some pages in Chrome. It doesn't seem to affect the computer in safe-mode.

Any ideas? Should I pull the RAM and start mem testing it, or is there a chance that it has something to do with the reformat?
    edited January 2012
    Run Memtest before pulling and see if you get any errors. If you don't, no reason to pull. I'd also throw DFT (Hitachi's HDD test) and then whatever HDD manufacturer's test you actually have (i.e. the specific test for WD or Seagate). All of that is available via UBCD

If you do get errors on Memtest, note the location, so that when you switch them, you can see if the errors follow the stick or stay with the slot.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Did you install all of your drivers? Especially chipset?

Look in device manager. Do you have any "bangs" (yellow triangle with ! in them) next to anything?
    That was actually what I meant to put first in my comment and someone excluded it altogether. Honestly, I would grab the drivers you can straight from manu (i.e. network from Intel or Broadcomm, chipset from Intel/AMD, etc) just to rule that out. Win7 got A WHOLE lot better at auto-installing drivers, but not perfect.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    Win 7 might also, after you get a basically stable machine with mfr drivers, need all the Win 7 updates. I found that I had to tell Win 7 to get and install the Recommended as well as the Important updates to get some drivers that Microsoft updated for my hardware. These were more recent than what came on the DVD. YMMV but you might well benefit from this also.

There were also Win 7 security patches issued today and on January 1, 5 important ones for Win 7 today, all security patches except the January Malicious Software Removal Tool update.