On Thermaltake and eSports at CES 2012

UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA:Redwood City, CA Icrontian
edited January 2012 in Gaming

Comments

• Add some Cherry blue/black/brown keys and they will be a big hit in the SC2 community there is not enough Cherry key keyboards outside Korea.
  • I mean the mechanical keyboard ones of course
  • a mouse bungee has been in the market since 1996. Believe me, this will be the final product name...
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    Add some Cherry blue/black/brown keys and they will be a big hit in the SC2 community there is not enough Cherry key keyboards outside Korea.
    Their MEKA series keyboards do use Cherry MX Black switches, and they're awesome.
  • Ive never known it until this moment but i have always wanted TT shoes
  • Do gamers really want to look like they fell through a time portal after finishing a shoot for a mid 80's hip hop video (or what the old school call Rap Yo!)

Word TT, Word....
  • Havent US heard of mouse bungees before?
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    Do gamers really want to look like they fell through a time portal after finishing a shoot for a mid 80's hip hop video (or what the old school call Rap Yo!)

Word TT, Word....
    Cliff, most gamers today haven't even HEARD of the 80's. They're doomed to repeat those fashion trends eventually. May as well get it out of the way now.

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    Do gamers really want to look like they fell through a time portal after finishing a shoot for a mid 80's hip hop video (or what the old school call Rap Yo!)
    Yes. Dumb fashion trends.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    I ain't gonna complain about legwarmers making a comeback. Sometimes you get the bad with the good, boys.
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    edited January 2012
    Dumb fabric

To actually contribute to the discussion however I've got to ask why? I've never understood e-sports that much I mean yes games are fun, but they are GAMES I'd much rather play a game than sit around watching one and making clothing FOR e-sports makes no bloody sense to me.
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    Havent US heard of mouse bungees before?
    Actually, Mortin reviewed a mouse bungee type product for Icrontic back in mid 2001 or so (might have been even earlier for Apu's Hardware), but those articles have been lost to time and hackers.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    Dumb fabric

To actually contribute to the discussion however I've got to ask why? I've never understood e-sports that much I mean yes games are fun, but they are GAMES I'd much rather play a game than sit around watching one and making clothing FOR e-sports makes no bloody sense to me.
    I never understood until I watched a few SCII tournaments. They're actually incredibly interesting, even for someone who has little interest in buying/playing the game they're competing in.
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    I never understood until I watched a few SCII tournaments. They're actually incredibly interesting, even for someone who has little interest in buying/playing the game they're competing in.
    ^^^ I went to a "beercraft" session with a friend of mine, who is heavily into SCII. I never played, nor even seen it in action (I was in for the beer rather then the craft). However, I was sucked right in. At the end I was cheering and I actually felt rushed by seeing attacks and counterattacks, all while my friend explained what was going on. It was amazing. I've never felt that way about soccer or skiing on he TV.

edited January 2012
    Tried watching an SCII tournament, never could get into it I mean watching the actual games was fun enough I suppose but I couldn't keep a straight face during the team 'speeches' and the awards I spent the majority of the time laughing it felt like an Olympic award ceremony but for a video game.

My other question however was why make e-sport clothing and team brands?
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    Because of $$.

• NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited January 2012
    Stick to the MLG tourney feeds, there's very little of that since it's more individual vs. individual. You also have to understand what exactly it is you're watching when you view it - it's Korea's MLB/NFL/NBA.

As for your question...because people want to represent and or support someone they follow, a team they support, or a community they enjoy and are happy to be a part of. It's incredibly marketable. The same reason you MLP guys use pony avatars.
    Because of $$.

Eh, Fair enough
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited January 2012
    A couple of important distinctions for Thermaltake in esports.

One of the most popular and well regarded Starcraft 2 pro's, Aleksey "White-Ra" Krupnyk, is a member of their team. His "Speshul Tectics" are always a blast to see in action.

And, they recently made a big splash in Korea by partnering with an up and coming Starcraft 2 team, Team PRIME, which has a young and inexperienced but very talented roster including the hugely popular MarineKingPRIME.

To put it in perspective a little bit, if either one of those guys turns on their stream, you will see no less than 4k+ viewers tune in.

Other esports organizations have started as purely competitive enterprises at first and then branched into merchandizing, it's interesting to see Thermaltake going opposite to that trend.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    Thermaltake had a mouse endorsed by White-Ra. Looked pretty sweet.