Hardware regrets

RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature EnthusiastNew Mexico Icrontian
edited February 2012 in Hardware
I have (mostly) finished doing a rather unnecessarily intensive upgrade to my computer. Namely upgrading to Windows 7 64-bit from a Vista 32-bit. Despite the bit change, this upgrade, in theory, should have probably been finished Saturday morning since I started Friday morning. Well 3 days later. I've learned quite a bit. I'm a hobbyist Techie so I'm not ashamed to say I that could have done a heck of a lot better.

For instance:
Asking around the wonderful land of Icrontic, on how our various members/professionals/far-more-experienced individuals would have done the deed.
Quadruple check my backups and what I backed up ... and then check again. (Almost lost $100 worth of freshly bought software. *facepalm*)
Would have paid attention to where my Skyrim save was. 90 hours potentially gone.
Overall I'm just glad I completed it without blowing up my computer. Especially since most of my classes require this thing.

"If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning anything."

So what retrospective do you have on past endeavors of yours? Would you have not eaten that porkchop? Learned more about RAM limits before spending $$$ on hardware you can't even use? Been more aware of what images you were linking in a warmup to League o' Legends? Taken the right turn at Albuquerque?

Side question: Do regets = or =/= retrospective?

Comments

• I hate the cliche "live without regrets" normally inked on some 19 year old girls tattoo that does not know any better.

regret + change = improvement

• CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    I should not have eaten the mushrooms on the lunch buffet when I was working at New China.

On a similar note: DO NOT EAT THE MUSHROOMS ON THE LUNCH BUFFET AT NEW CHINA.
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    @Cliff_Forster Agreed. They may be my exact generation, but I find either I don't belong with them or they don't belong with me.

@Canti Duly noted. I don't like mushrooms anyway.
  • I regret not busting out of my shell earlier in college. The last few years of college were a blast and went too fast. I wish I had made more of the first couple as well.

I also regret not busting ass in my classes in college. I did okay the last few years, but I could have done far better on the whole (and learned a lot more)
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    I would not have paid out the ass to get RD-RAM on the Dell I bought for college. Apparently, it doesn't make a difference on the Pentium 3 platform.
  • On a similar note, I should not have spent $50 per week in upgrading my PC. From the Celeron 500/Rage128 combo I built my second year of college through my A64 2800+/Radeon 9800 Pro combo I probably spent over $10,000 in four years
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    I've done some more cleaning up from the upgrade. Nothing to too bad. Except my music player gone goofed. To keep it short, it didn't save like it said it was and I lost 400+ songs. So in retrospective, I should have ignored saving just the playlist and added em to the library. Code mining here I come.

Good news: Steam saved my Skyrim save so not all is lost.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    I changed the title of this post to be more topical.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Still haven't messed up with my PC, but gadgets are a different matter:

I wish I had never, ever, ever, ever, ever purchased one of those skull-fuckingly awful BlackBerries. Android was 2-3 months out, and iOS is verboten, but I wish I had simply waited for the G1. I would have been much happier with my phone for many, many years.
  • I paid $300 for a Sega CD. Beat that!

• fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    Sega CD was the shit. sewer shark, lunar-silver star, lunar-eternal blue, ground-zero:texas (always crashed but I luved it), nba jam, joe montana's nfl football.

man i miss those days

worst hardware decision: buying a MAG CRT
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    When I switched from my beloved Atari to PC, I opted to spend $75 less and go 486 instead of the newfangled Pentium. Not knowing anything about PC hardware at the time, my builder friend assured me the differences were minimal.

I had that damned 486 DX2 for almost two years and it was a hunk of shit. Unfortunately, I was invested in the platform too much to switch to Pentium.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    I have one: the ASUS laptop I wrote about still has problems. It's gone in for five repairs and still isn't right. It should be replaced sometime soon. It's just a matter of coordinating with the tech support guy I'm working with.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    ground-zero:texas (always crashed but I luved it)
    That's because you don't mess with TX

I changed the title of this post to be more topical.
    I was thinking a bit beyond just tech, but that is pretty dang general so I'm cool with this.