ICMC: Railz & Stations

BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats !TX Icrontian
edited February 2012 in Minecraft
The Rail system has started to get built in town. Currently there is service West out all the way to Basil and I's places and South to the Zombie XP farm.

It is time to start developing Grand Central Station. Grand central will be located South-East of spawn in the closest 50x50 area. If you are interested in helping build grand central, let me know so I can keep you in the circle of communication. We will lay out the design beforehand, then materials will be provided for the final build. It has been mentioned that brick looks nice on train stations, I agree. The community currently has more than 8 stacks of clay bricks (2000+ clay balls / 500+ brick blocks once smelted/crafted). We also have Mossy cobblestone donated by the community.

There should eventually be service in all four cardinal directions along with a Tour of town rail. We need to figure out a nice path to show everyone's plots off as it loops back to grand central.

Donations of materials are much appreciated for the development of the Railz. Iron, Gold and Redstone are most needed. There is a donation chest at spawn along with a storage chest that only rail engis will have access to. Engis will move donations from the donations box to the storage box for safe keeping.

If you would like to work on the rails. Let one of the rail engis know and they will let you know if you can be of any assistance. If you want to be a Rail Engi, submit your request to me via PM. You are not to lay rail within the entire spawn area (500x500) unless advised by a rail engi. I will be keeping in touch with the rail engis to make sure we have an optimized rail system.

If you have a connection to one of the directional roads: Rail up to it and let an Engi know so we can discuss how best to handle it.

Once the layout is complete. The Portal on the hill next to spawn will be moved to a more permanent home in Grand Central.

A secondary goal is Nether Station (open to creative name ideas here). Currently there is a rail going from the Spawn portal to the Barbarian Village portal. A rail will need to be added to go out to the Nether Stronghold where we will have a Blaze grinder.

Use this thread to plan everything relating to the minecart railroad system on our server.

-Digi

Comments

• d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian
    If you give me a basic sketch of what you want the system/station to look like I can try to do a more "professional" blueprint of it. I need to start refreshing my memory with AutoCAD anyways, I can also do 3D models in SolidEdge, but that will take a while.
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    Would it be possible to have this extended to my plot as it is the most northern one?
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    We can do that. Is the road laid out to your plot yer?

If so then The Rail Engi's will take car of getting it out there. Then you can work on the connection.

-Digi
    If you give me a basic sketch of what you want the system/station to look like I can try to do a more "professional" blueprint of it. I need to start refreshing my memory with AutoCAD anyways, I can also do 3D models in SolidEdge, but that will take a while.
    Thank you for offering. When I have time to outline the requirements of Grand Central then we will start sketching/mapping out everything.

-Digi
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    The road isn't laid out to my plot yet. Someone should prob do that lol
    I've laid the corner stones (orange wool) for Grand central next to spawn. Next step is to clear it.

Who wants to help design Grand Central? I'll be putting a group together to work with me on a design. I'll lay out the requirements and then we will create a design around that.

-Digi
  • I'd like to be a part of the team for rail. Additionally, the Mitey Worriers plan to build a small-town style train depot inside of MW land that will be connected from Grand Central.
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    You know what would be awesome? Building Grand Central in the design of Toronto's Union Station! (Building's massive and the architecture is astounding)
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    I would love to have a train stop at the Great Icrontian Ballpark. But it'll be awhile before it's even completed.
    I'd like to be a part of the team for rail. Additionally, the Mitey Worriers plan to build a small-town style train depot inside of MW land that will be connected from Grand Central.
    Excellent, Please make sure to keep the road 5 wide and 5x5 clear above the road. A MW Station off of the main track would be great :-D Joe you can do the same whenever you are ready.

We'll consider that Il, Keep the ideas for Grand Central design coming. The need for it grows day to day.

-Digi
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    edited February 2012
    I would love to have a train stop at the Great Icrontian Ballpark. But it'll be awhile before it's even completed.
    If you build it, he will come.

As far as the station goes I'd not bother designing anything yet.
    Build the redstone/track/switches then plan a building around it.

• CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    Why don't we build an actual replica of Grand Central Station in NYC? It's basically a giant rectangular building so it should be fairly easy to replicate, albeit time consuming to make.
  • UPSHitmanUPSHitman The Big Nasty Indianapolis, Indiana Icrontian
    I'll gladly help when I'm on digi just let me know what ya need.
  • Ultimately the Mitey Worries plan to lay track between IC Town and the MW territory, however, I was walking back to town yesterday and I got nailed by three creepers right at the edge of the new tree farm, where it intersects with the main road out to MW land. I think somewhere near the edge of the tree farm is dark enough to spawn mobs.
    Grand Central:

Here's what we need to start with. I need a concept built that will allow for 10 different departures and all lines incoming going to a single arrival point. We can setup relays that go out to junctions to make switches away from the station. All of the redstone must be underground. We do not need a cart dispenser for now.

DO NOT make elaborate builds as if you are making the final design. Cobble or wool proof of concepts right now. If that means setting up multiple proofs, then so be it so we can look at the designs of each. If you want to work on a proof, let me know so I can get you materials.

-Digi
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited March 2012
    I'd be delighted to help build once it's all planned out. Just keep me informed and I'll lend a hand when needed. :D

Also, if this suggestion helps, it may be easier/faster to build a proof-of-concept of redstone setups and/or aesthetic architectural designs in a plain Creative Mode map and sharing it in Dropbox or hosting it yourself. That way you can quickly make changes, and no teardown of the "model" is necessary. Just build it in the "real" world.

I remember AlexDeGruven was talking about starting a Creative Mode server for situations such as this. Now would be a great time to launch one, even if it's temporary.