SMP on a 1055T 6 core?

TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
edited February 2012 in Folding@Home
I have a chance to get a 1055T 6 core CPU, an Asus motherboard to handle it, and 8 GB of RAM at a VERY good price. I don't consider the 1055T to be all that great of an upgrade over my current E7300 dual core. but it's better according to benchmark testing I found. If I wait to upgrade to the i7 2600K / SSD system I want, I'll be waiting a while!

So, is there a guide anywhere for setting up 6 CPU instances of F@H in XP or in 7 Home Premium? Haven't decided which I'll use yet.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    I have a 1090T, and I just use the V7 beta client SMP. It automatically uses six cores. Not saying it's optimal, but it works.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    Use 7 beta here, just SMP, and it runs on all 8 possible threads (each as a core according to the SMP client) in the Intel CPU it is client software of. Folding has stabilized to about 15,200 average PPD on my i7 2600K, RAM is only DDR3 1333 Dual Channel, no SSD (have a WD Green spindle drive in it). NO OCing yet. Just to give Tim and others an idea about what he wants will do average PPD wise-- hasslelessly and stably.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    Using the SMP client is optimal and easy. Do it for glory and the Icrontiic Way.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Whichever you pick will be virtually identical. v7 will set itself up correctly for both SMP and GPU in almost all instances, but v6 can run completely in the background.

If you opt for v6, I would select the following non-standard options:
    big (memory)
    advanced (regular or advanced WUs)
    -smp -verbosity 9 (additional options)
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited February 2012
    So I'd just install one copy of the SMP CPU folding client, and set the flags, and that's it? I thought I'd have to install 6 seperate copies to run each core at 100% if I wanted to do that.

I have run CPU folding on dual cores, and even with it set to 100%, each core runs at only 50% on the folding service.
    You should only ever run a single SMP client (there are some extreme circumstances where multiple clients are appropriate but this is not within the typical scope) and most of the time, leaving it default to -smp will scale it appropriately. Remove any other clients and config files you have, download current v6 or v7 beta and set it up as I stated.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    I have run CPU folding on dual cores, and even with it set to 100%, each core runs at only 50% on the folding service.
    True, but that's without the -smp flag. If you start the FAH6 client with -smp, it will use all the cores.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    V7 you won't need flags ...it will detect all 6 cores upon installation.
    Correct on both accounts. I specified if v6 then this, but v7 will auto tune your face.
    Well good then, I'll try the v7. I might have this PC assembled in the next week, I'll see how it goes and report it here. I might be able to get a Vertex 3 60 GB SSD with it also to be my new boot drive.
    What mobo did you get?
    Asus M4A78 PRO Rev. 1.02G
    edited February 2012
    You should be able to overclock that puppy nicely if you have adequate cooling and you're interested. My 1100T @ 4ghz paired with a gtx 570 is getting about 25,000ppd according to F@h V7. That's another thing about V7 1.48 client, it estimate's your ppd and will auto tune your face. Haven't checked the accuracy of that yet.

Keep us posted Tim.
    What sort of PPD should this 1055T be able to do (by itself) with the v7 version and stock 2.8 speeds or OC'd a bit to maybe 3.3 - 3.5?
    If someone could recommend a more accurate means of calculating ppd I could give a better answer. However, Right now V7 is reporting approximately 14400 ppd on my cpu. Since you will be overclocked approx. .875x @ 3.5ghz I would estimate 12600ppd.
    However, you might consider the fact that I am also folding on the GPU at the same time and this may hamper the results ...so if anything you should get better results.

Let us know when you get it all hooked up. V7 will calculate if for you, just not sure how accurate it is. Seems like now they should have it well figured out.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    7-9k at stock. 3.36 11.9k. 1055T at 3.5ghz is doing 13,000 ppd

Just breezed through a few people's reports. I would say 8-9k at stock and then 11-12k will be in your OC clock range.
    If someone could recommend a more accurate means of calculating ppd I could give a better answer.
    http://linuxforge.net/bonuscalc2.php

The accuracy of calculations was a point of the last beta (or is going to be addressed for the gold release, I don't remember.
    I finally picked up a 60 GB Vertex 3, so I assembled the PC with the new MB and 1055T, turned it on, and got.... nothing. Not a POST beep, not a BIOS screen, not even a blue light on the monitor.

After much messing around with it, I concluded the MB must be bad or the BIOS isn't new enough for the 6 core. I'll exchange it on monday.
    edited March 2012
    That chip is on the support list with 1607 bios.

http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-ASUS/M4A78_Pro.html
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    If you have an older chip, toss that in and flash the bios. Then swap in the 1055t
    edited March 2012
    I don't have any 2,3, or 4 core chips, and according to the numbers at the end of the long thin sticker, this one has the 1201 BIOS. Supported?

The place I got the board from can re-flash it for me, they are pretty cool about stuff like that. I checked that list, looks like only the 1607 BIOS will handle the 6 core.

Only bad part is I have to burn 80 miles worth of gas in the car for the round trip to their place.

Even if the BIOS doesn't support the CPU, wouldn't I at least get the BIOS screen or a POST beep or something? I guess not.
    Even if the BIOS doesn't support the CPU, wouldn't I at least get the BIOS screen or a POST beep or something? I guess not.
    Nope ...you need the newer UEFI bios boards to do that. Myabe the dual bios' do that too Idunno. Sure is a nice feature to have though.

I went out there today, and they put in a dual core AMD chip and the board started up. It did have the 1201 BIOS, so they reflashed it to the newer 1701 version, made sure it worked on the dual core, then switched over to the 6 core. It worked fine this time, and showed the CPU model in the same line with the BIOS number.

So in a few days I can swap it all back into my computer case again. When I have time.