nVidia default setting - daily F@h fail

csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
edited February 2012 in Folding@Home
I think I've finally found the culprit to my daily F@h fail at home.

Yesterday I discovered a "Power management mode" that is quite possibly responsible for my daily crashes while during the day. I've set it right here:

NVIDIA Control Panel>Manage 3D settings>Global settings (tab)>Power management mode>"Adaptive" is default but I've changed it to "Prefer maximum performance". I've read that when the system detects no 3D activity it will power down.

Let's see if this works.

Comments

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    You might use gpu-z and turn on logging so you can see what the last status of the card is before the crash (ie: did it get too hot, or did the clocks drop for some reason).
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    You are correct. I wasn't aware (or didn't remember) that you were having this issue or I would have suggested it.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited February 2012
    You might use gpu-z and turn on logging so you can see what the last status of the card is before the crash (ie: did it get too hot, or did the clocks drop for some reason).
    I thought it had been overheating and perhaps it had been. I solved that by figuring out how to manage fan speeds with the EVGA Precision utility.

Also, I changed to fresh fluids for the CPU just to make sure that wasn't causing any issues ...that was due anyway (5 years on the same MCT-5). Also changed hoses since they had picked up a film over time ...not as bad as I would have thought.

All temps are running decent for now and everything is set back to quiet mode. I suspect by summer I will have to kick the fans back up again but until then it will remain as quiet as possible.

So far it's been up 24 hours no hiccups (knock wood).

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    Believe it or not I finally had a full 24 hours of folding folding without failure. It seems that my ram timings may have been at fault ...and/or latest drivers. Still too early to tell but I will narrow this down eventually.